New consumer unit required to pass EICR? (due to changes since 2018)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last EICR passed in 2018 but will it again with these observations noted back then for this rental property?

Absence of RCD (411.4.9; 411.5.2; 531.2) circuits 1,2,3 unlikely to be used to supply mobile equipment outdoors (C3)
Plastic CCU does not Conform to Amd3 (C3)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Then, while strictly speaking, C3 items are only "improvement recommended" therefore do not have to be rectified for EICR purposes, where the new private rented sector landlords' requirements are concerned the property will have to comply with the latest electrical regulations so those items will have to be rectified.

It's not supposed to make sense.

Sponsored Links
Then, while strictly speaking, C3 items are only "improvement recommended" therefore do not have to be rectified for EICR purposes, where the new private rented sector landlords' requirements are concerned the property will have to comply with the latest electrical regulations so those items will have to be rectified.

Are you referring to the plastic CCU, lack of RCD or both? I know and EICR pass for rental property can pass with plastic CCUs can pass if everything else complies.

They do not have to comply with the 18th edition. They have to be inspected to the 18th edition and these observations are C3’s

That said I would recommend you get a new RCBO unit installed with SPD - but you don’t have to

Are you referring to the plastic CCU, lack of RCD or both?
Both.

I know and EICR pass for rental property can pass with plastic CCUs can pass if everything else complies.
How do you know that?

A plastic (i.e. NOT non-combustible or enclosed in non-combustible material) CU does not meet the latest wiring regulations with which a rented property must comply.

They do not have to comply with the 18th edition. They have to be inspected to the 18th edition and these observations are C3’s

That said I would recommend you get a new RCBO unit installed with SPD - but you don’t have to
Why, then, do you not similarly recommend a metal CU be fitted?

Last EICR passed in 2018 but will it again with these observations noted back then for this rental property?

Absence of RCD (411.4.9; 411.5.2; 531.2) circuits 1,2,3 unlikely to be used to supply mobile equipment outdoors (C3)
Plastic CCU does not Conform to Amd3 (C3)

Sounds like you agree a plastic unit can pass? This is based on an electrician giving me an EICR for a plastic unit in 2021, quotes I've had from others who have said a plastic one does not always need to be upgraded and some discussion on here where has it been debated and said it is not a regulatory requirement for landlords. I accept things may have changed again since 2021, but just want to be clear with my understanding so I can approach an electrician in the know! Thanks.

OP please bear in mind you are 1 year overdue to get this EICR done too

And I’m not aware of anything in 2021 changing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back