New consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an electrician round this morning to quote for some new sockets and lighting circuit in our new kitchen.

He said that we need a new consumer unit. It's an oldish MEM unit but with RCD protection and one that a new boiler was wired in to in 2010.

Have regulations changed in the past couple of years that mean a new consumer unit is required? Or should this have been replaced at the same time as the boiler? (electrical work connected with new boiler was all part p certified)

Sponsored Links
Did the electrician say why you needed a new CU?
If it's not broke no need to fix it!
The boiler depending on the way it was wired may have needed addition protection via RCDs. Do you know the method used for this, what tests are on the certificate?

He said that we need a new consumer unit. It's an oldish MEM unit but with RCD protection

If the circuits he is working on have 30 mA RCD protection then it should be ok.

What circuits does the current RCD protect?

Will he be adding new circuits?

Has he considered fitting a separate RCD near the consumer unit to cover any circuits which are not provided with the RCD protection you refer to?

He didn't expand on the reasoning other than 'it was too old'

The boiler was replaced before we bought so didn't have any dealings with that. Gas and water supply were earthed at the same time.

From what I can gather, all circuits are currently protected by 1 RCD

Sponsored Links
One RCD controlling all the circuits is not ideal, yet fairly common from my travels.

Some electricians would just add to that.

But it would be a better job to have more than one RCD about the place in the event of a fault you can't get rid of.

From what I can gather, all circuits are currently protected by 1 RCD
It's not the ideal set up having all circuits on one RCD. But no reason why you should have been advised to change to newer type unit with either dual or multi RCD protection. Unless the existing one is unsafe/dangerous. I think maybe your electrician could well be trying to find themselves a little extra paid work at your inconvenience!

There is no problem with this, other than the fact it's all on one RCD.

Do you know what model number the c/u is?

As I have a spare MEM busbar and 30mA RCD you could have and give to a spark to convert it to a split load board - assuming my busbar is long enough. This would split your circuits across two RCD's and technically make it a 17th ed board for the cost of his labour

Cheers for the offer, we're in the process of getting additional quotes so we'll see what others say.

It may be that we'd choose to replace the whole board anyway, if we're having other electrical work done it might work out more economical than having it done at a separate time. Just trying to weigh up the options. Although I don't know if an additional board will have additional wiring implications, at the moment we just have sockets/lighting/shower circuits. Shower is only on 4mm cable (7kW shower so ok i think) so i don't know whether they'd connect this up again, don't want to pay to upgrade this as we're going to run a shower off the combi when we sort the bathroom.

There is no problem with this, other than the fact it's all on one RCD.

Do you know what model number the c/u is?

As I have a spare MEM busbar and 30mA RCD you could have and give to a spark to convert it to a split load board - assuming my busbar is long enough. This would split your circuits across two RCD's and technically make it a 17th ed board for the cost of his labour

:confused: Never volunteer! :D

If the existing main switch is the RCD (RCCB) then you're gonna need a new main switch to isolate the whole lot, and almost certainly some tri-rated tails or similar.

Could be a lot of effort for what could be an out of date consumer unit.

ok very true. Well luckily I also have a spare 100A MEM main switch.

It's entirely up to the OP and how old his board is, still a heck of a lot cheaper than a CU swap though

eek £1050 for new consumer unit plus new circuit for kitchen!

only one out of 3 electricians to actually provide a quote, i suspect i must seem foolish or hard work

We don't know quite how "old" or "out of date" it is

Post a pic please with the door open (but don't unscrew the cover)

It will also be nice to see the tails that go to the meter, and any green-and-yellow or green-insulated cables around it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

RCBOs are wonderful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back