New Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I just bought a new Indesit cooker (built under) and I am uncertain how to wire it in the cooker is rated at 5.2KW it has a double oven and grill. The instructions show wiring it with the hob but I have a gas hob which is wired seperately, so I need to wire it on its own. I have a spare trip on my CU which was used for an old cooker (rated 40 amp not used fo 5 years) I would like to use this as the old oven used to trip the 15amp breaker on the old ring when using too many appliances. The instruction show a double pole switch and 4mm cable is this correct as I cant find 4mm cable only 6mm or 10mm also what size breaker do I need (the unit is a Wylex NN )

Sponsored Links
I'm not a sparky, so don't take this as gospel.

If you have an old cooker circuit which has a 40amp breaker in the CU, this should be fine to use, although you will need to change the breaker to a lower rating to match the cooker. If it was a cooker outlet before, it should also have a double pole switch in place.
Because this work is in a Kitchen and you will be changing the "Circuit Protective Measure" this will be covered by Part P. Easiest by far is to get a sparky in to change the breaker and wire the Oven in for you.

Hello,
I have just spent an hour going through old posts (which I should have done first) I am I right in assuming that I should do the following:

Use the 40 amp trip in my CU (but change to 32amp)
Use a 45 amp double pole switch located less than 1 meter from the oven
Use 6mm2 cable

Does this work require a quailifed electrician

regards Steve

Use the 40 amp trip in my CU (but change to 32amp)

Yes

Use a 45 amp double pole switch located less than 1 meter from the oven

Yes

Use 6mm2 cable

Yes

Yes
As mentioned in my previous post, any change to "Circuit Protective Device" i.e MCB etc is Part P and will require a Part P registered electrician.

Sponsored Links

No. You can do this work yourself under a Building Notice to your LABC, together with the appropriate fee. They should then inspect/test and issue completion certificate.

However, it's probably going to be cheaper and much less hassle to use an electrician who is a member of a part P competent persons scheme (which is not quite the same as being a qualified electrician).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back