New CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to replace my old memera3 fusebox with the new Volex unit I just bought from Screwfix.

Roughly how much, all in, would I expect to be charged.

The house was built in 1984 and has had no electrical work done to it from new. There are 5 circuits in use and plenty of free play on the cables to accomodate the new cu.

The advice I was given from just about everyone I spoke to was to break the seal, pull the service fuse and DIY.

I'd prefer to get someone in to do it but if it was prohibitively expensive, I would have the choice of which was safer, carry on with old style cartridge fusebox or DIY the new box in.

I would imagine, this is a choice faced by many home owners who are fairly experienced in home wiring. Will the new regs coming in January escalate the cost?

Sponsored Links
Personally, I wouldn't use Volex.

It is impossible to say what your job would cost without eyeballing it.

BUT, what with testing, and without any unforseen problems, it would take a good few hours. I would charge out a whole day for the work, because I would not be able to do anything with the remainder.

So, I reckon at least 160.00 ex vat depending on where you are

Yes, I suspect prices will hike in Jan.

Change a CU? £280 including CU. £220 if you supply your own. £300 if you supply a Volex unit! :D As SS has said, it's a day to do it properly.

I never use customer supplied materials. And would NEVER use volex.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
I never use customer supplied materials. And would NEVER use volex.

y? and what do you think are the best makes of CU?

MEM are my top brand, followed by MK. All others are not for me.

If the customer supplies materials, you only make money on labour. When you supply materials, you know the quality. You also have the backing of your wholesaler if anything is damaged, or faulty etc.

You get to know the makes you use, and are much quicker and efficient when using them. I know it sounds stupid, but I could wire an MEM board 10 times quicker than a Volex, and could fit an MK double socket 10 times quicker than any other.

If anything goes wrong, there is no argument over guarantees.

When you get the car serviced, do you supply oil??

Thanks for the replies. Well I have the Volex now, so that is what will have to be used. It seems ok to me. A little flimsy but everything is where it should be and there is enough space for cabling.

If an Electrician is probably going to charge me more to use ths unit, maybe I should put my degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and 15 years working with PAT testing and general electrical repair and service to good use !!!!!!

if you had any sence you would have brought a decent unit

ive had volex fail on me
i refuse to use them

i am as lectrician but ill also use hager units

i dont even like wylex boards

if you want to put your "qualifications to use then do so, were telling you with ours, and our experience, that volex is cheep ****, if you have any idea of the problems ive had you would be sending it back witha first class stamp on it and getting an MK or even, at a push, wylex

What is wrong with Wylex?

Poeple always take the mickey out of Volex - is it really that bad?
Perhaps they were made for temporary site hut wiring in mind only.

kai said:
Perhaps they were made for temporary site hut wiring in mind only.

temporary wiring should be safer than permanent. esp on building sites etc

Orac said:
Thanks for the replies. Well I have the Volex now, so that is what will have to be used. It seems ok to me.
But what do you know? What experience or knowledge do you have to make that judgement?

How did you choose that one - was it just on price?

Do you even know that it's suitable for your installation - is yours a TT supply or TN-S/TN-C-S?

But above all - WHY did you buy it if you wanted to get someone else to fit it? Overall, I guarantee that this approach will have cost you more than if you'd had the electrician supply it.

Hi, the earthing is by TN-C-S . I originaly bought the unit as I intended to fit it myself but don't think i'll have the time now.

I might just see if screwfix will take the unit back and i'll stick with the old style fusebox (no trips at all) for now and add my new radial to its spare circuit. Better get it done by January though :)

Maybe in a year or so I will be better able to afford to get someone in to replace it. Its a bit of a dilema really, whats safer, to leave the old fusebox in place while I save for the work or replace it with a CU myself.

Oh well, I'll need to find another fuse carrier for my Memera 3 fusebox, any good online places?

Try "the fuse company" - they have an online store I believe.

Memera 3 is out dated, but some of our wholesalers still stock the fuse carriers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back