New door frame too wide! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My nice new door and frame has just arrived (external). Great...except...i've notice the it's slightly too wide. The door was made to custom size but instead of the specified width of 890mm they've made it to 895mm. It doesn't sound much but 2.5mm either side is quite a chunk to sand!

(ps. trying desperately to contact the joiners)

Sponsored Links
Maybe its time to head for Screwfix to buy an electric plane, JJ!
You may find that the new frame is just too large at a couple of bricks, and won't need easing all the way......check both sides.
Its worth spending some time sorting this, and not rushing things.
John :)

thanks. Also noticed that the cill and top of frame extend beyond the width of the gap, should these be cut into the brickwork or just shortened?
ta

In the very best practice these 'horns' should be let into the brickwork but in real life this seems to be rarely done......so long as the timber joint isn't stressed all will be ok.
The trick is to make sure the frame isn't bent in or out - use plastic or timber packers to keep it absolutely square within the brickwork opening.
Treat the frame with preservative before installation if you have time.

Sponsored Links
you should have allowed 10-15mm clearance all round
making it actual size is bad practice as theres no room for expansion contraction or adjustment

hmmm. that's even more concerning. I emailed the joiners the gap size and asked it needed to be made smaller. Their reply was that it should be a tight fit.

What's done is done, just don't bray the frame in place or distort it in any way, leave the braces in place for as long as possible and all will be well.
If the door should need easing in the future then so be it.

hmmm. that's even more concerning. I emailed the joiners the gap size and asked it needed to be made smaller. Their reply was that it should be a tight fit.

you can only make it a tight fit if its 100% square 100% level and 100% parallel this can only be garenteed by building the wall around the frame :rolleyes:

In the very best practice these 'horns' should be let into the brickwork but in real life this seems to be rarely done.

Was only ever done when the frame was positioned as the brickwork was built around it. Joggled horns is the correct term. Often found when removing frames from old buildings, making some a right b*****d to remove.

I emailed the joiners the gap size and asked it needed to be made smaller. Their reply was that it should be a tight fit.

Hmm
The door was made to custom size but instead of the specified width of 890mm they've made it to 895mm

That's more than a tight fit. I'd email them and ask just how your supposed to fit 895mm intae a 890mm gap, without doing anything.
You could of course refuse to accept it and insist they make another frame to the size you ordered. It's their mistake at the end of the day.

may just be expansion
if it was made in a warm dry environment and stored somewhere damp
although if the gap around the door is between 2 and 3mm this would preclude this being the case

My Wickes so called hardwood door expands about 4 mm when the weather is damp!

The cheap power planer from B&Q is very good for that job removed in 0.5 mm goes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back