New door in load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, new to this site any help would be appreciated.
I am not intending to carry out this project myself just want some information so i know what the builders are going to quote for.
the job:
on the ground floor i have a double garage and to the side of this under the main house there is a concrete block wall. behind this is the backfilled earth from when the house was built (I know this as i drilled a hole to have a peek). the concrete blocks are supporting the concrete lintels and then the concrete floor of my house. I would like to knock a standard sized door into the concrete blocks. excavate an area behind to enable me to have a storeroom.
I would like to know a) if this is possible
b) do i need a permit or to consult building control?
c) what process would this follow? Lintel/rsj, supports etc??

Any help any of you guys could offer would be extremely helpful. ;)

Sponsored Links
Ideally you need an SE (structural engineer) to do some calculations for you, they will tell you if this is possible and building controls will need notifying, they will also ask for some calculations from you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back