New Door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to move a kitchen door in a supporting wall only about 1.5 metres. I will be fitting a lintel but obviously if I only fit a lintel to support the new door area it only leaves a relatively narrow column of bricks for supporting the lintel adjacent to the existing door. Do I need to fit a lintel that spans both the old and the new door. i.e.what are the regs for supporting a lintel on an existing brick column.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
in instances similar to yours we prop the wall and remove the vulnerable bit of masonry that is sandwiched between new and old openings.

we then re-build the wall forming the new opening as well as blocking off the old, all in one hit.

Thanks for that noseall. It sounds so obvious when you say it like that and it will mke a better job of it.

cheers Robin

Sponsored Links
it is interesting that an architect for example, would show one being bricked up and the other being opened up (busted out!), all with neat lines and no consideration for the fact that the bit left in between is left rather vulnerable and weak.

we always interpret it as 'prop it, blitz the lot out and build new'. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back