New doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to put a doorway from my converted garage (well it's underway anyway) to the main house.
After reading various posts I intend to buy a standard door (762mm) appropriate sized casing,
draw around it on the wall, adding 12.5mm all around (plasterboard depth)
then cut through the 2x 100mm block and 100mm cavity above the drawing to fit 2 x 1200 mm concrete lintels, the final 12" height on the wall is made up of grey housebricks and after that although I can't see as the ceiling is boarded, I'm pretty sure there are only floor joists resting on the wall.
Then I will cut out the lines, fix the plasterboard to the reveals, locate the casing against the skin on the house side as the door is going to open that way, then read some posts on door hanging and hope for the best.

If anybody can see any reason not to do it this way, or has anything to add, please let me know,
it's all well and good thinking you have researched it, but when it comes to actually starting to cut holes in walls, I confess to getting a little twitchy.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back