New Double Glazed Bay window 'pings' in the night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is going to sound weird but had new double glazed bay window fitted in bedroom yesterday. Heard it twice in the night making a pinging noise, sounds like contraction noise in metal and was about half hour in between. Can't put up with this every night! Fitter said he has never heard of this before but I think he is either out of his depth or fobbing me off. He definitely put in supporting metal rods (think that's what they are called).
Night two - no pinging but creaking. Has anybody got any ideas/advice.

Sponsored Links
The previous day it was unusually warm and maybe the next day it was quiet cold,well here in London it was.

So expansion and contraction could be the cause,you will need to monitor the situation.

Have you had the central heating on,does it make noises then ?.

Don't get fobbed off by your installing company.

All the best.

Thanks for replying. It was not particularly warm on Friday nor particularly cold overnight, same yesterday, and that's why I am a bit worried. If the fitter is very clear that he has not heard of this before and I am very concerned that he does not know how to fix it, even suggested it was my phone going off - silly man! Person fitting is small independent so I am concerned I will have no recourse once I have paid him full and I feel a bit of a fraud withholding final payment etc. I would agree that it sounds like expansion and contraction but that implies I am going to have to put up with this nearly every night, last creak was about 5.30 this morning so I need to resolve it. Would really appreciate any more advice, thanks in advance.

Like you, I have had new double glazing installed (last August) by a small independent company. About two weeks after installation, as the weather started turning colder, one of the sealed units in the bedroom started "pinging" at various times throughout the evening....most usually around the time of sunset so around 20:30 when it first started and around 17:30 now. And yes it worries me. Within 6 months one of the sealed units failed, and after its failure, the pinging noise seemed to clearly come from that unit. It was replaced yesterday, but that hasn't resolved the pinging (4 times yesterday evening).

When the person came to measure up the replacement unit I mentioned this pinging noise to them, and they too had never known or heard of it. I don't think he was trying to fob me off. The company is well established and has a good reputation. I keep in mind, that they are the sellers and installers and not the manufacturers therefore don't necessarily understand the "science" behind the glass manufacturing.

Expansion and contraction is the most likely reason, although why one unit specifically does it and not the others is beyond me. I just hope that the replacement doesn't fail.

For your information, and for comparison, plastic spacers were used on this installation and not metal rods. The glass was manufactured by a company called DuraGreen.

Sponsored Links
If your window was installed using Baypoles (aluminium tubes clad in uPVC) the fitter will have fixed through the frames using a baypole screw to attach window to pole to window etc. These are usually a self-driller and tie the whole bay together.
I'm thinking maybe a screw hasn't caught properly, or is fouling on the joint in the metal box-section reinforcement in the frame. This may cause 'pinging' due to thermal expansion/contraction. I really can't work out how a sealed unit could be making this noise?.... but couldn't say for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back