New Double Glazing Installed but Issues with Noise

Stone faced houses normally have quiet a big reveal from where the old sash windows would have been.
I build a timber case around the reveal using 2"x3" then fit the window and foam in.
But contrary to myths double glazed units have no special noise reducing properties.
Thats just salesmen.

Looking at your pictures the profile looks like veka so you've got one of the best 5 chamber profiles on the market.

Regarding the new larger sash.
First put tue back of your hand to where the sash meets the frame, if you can feel any draught then there's not enough compression on the seal, this will be more likely to be arounds the locking area.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I have tested the windows and there is not even a slight hint of air coming through. Like you have suggested it is probably something to do with the material in there.

I have however found what may have been keeping noise out previously.

Please see below the photo taken with the old windows. These were extremely old normal PVC double glazed windows, but as you can see from the photo they had a wooden trim installed around them. I found this extremely ugly and thought it was for some sort of effect.

Perhaps this was actually a sort of sound proofing? I think Id rather live with a bit of extra noise then having this nonsense put on though! Will just get some decent blinds and heavy curtains!

Hi,

Quick question - did you have this done through Kirklees / Yes projects and their recommended installer?

Sponsored Links
I don't know if you read the post further down about noise consideration with double or triple glazed windows (I posted a similar answer), but I have read (as others have pointed out) that double glazed units are not always better at noise reduction. It is more complicated that I first thought and it depends on many factors such as glass thickness, air gap depth, noise frequency (low level traffic rumble in this case) and the resonance frequency of the glass. All these three things combined can mean that sometimes double or triple glazing can be worse for noise, especially traffic noise. Here is the article I found:

http://wielandacoustics.com/images/stories/single_double_or_triple_glazing.pdf

Obviously that may not explain why your previous windows were better, But the glass thinkness may have been different or the air gap bigger?

Anyway, hope that helps.

your old units may have been laminated glass units which are better at sound prevention and the new ones, whilst being a rated, and better at heat retention, would be noisier than your old ones just a thought ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back