New downstairs toilet - Building Reg Approval required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I apologise if this has been asked before.
My mum lives in a three bed semi. This semi had a street door on the side entering in to a small hallway. A few years back a small porch about 4m2 was built on the side with the entrance door turned 90 deg to face the front off the new porch. Now she would like to extend the porch backwards by about 3.5M2 to fit in a new downstairs toilet and wash hand basin. This would need to be plumbed in to the existing foul drain running across the property with a new man hole putting in (about 4 meters away). I know that obviously all of the work has to conform to building regs, insulation, ventilation, wiring, drains etc., but my question is do you actually need building regulation approval in the form of a certificate or permission. If so I was thinking of using an independent company rather than the council. Planning permission is not required under permitted development rights. Please advise on your experience. Many thanks, Ed.

Sponsored Links
but my question is do you actually need building regulation approval in the form of a certificate or permission. If so I was thinking of using an independent company rather than the council.

The work you propose is controlled work, therefore Building Control will need to inspect and sign it off. Whether you choose to use LABC or a private BI is your call.................However, in this instance I cannot see any advantage in using a private BI.

Approved Inspectors (or similar) can be quite costly when it comes to works to a residential dwelling. This is why I refer clients to use LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back