new dpc on the market,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have already posted a topic on my damp in my walls, i used the new inovative cream on the market as they say, it is called one shot dpc. Has anyone used this and what is your feedback on the product, the reason why i am asking is that i have damp penetrating through the fresh plaster and not sure if its a case of damp left in the bricks above were i done the dpc I have not used a cement render but used browning and a top coat and applied this roughly a week after doing the dpc but really dont think this is a major issue! or i maybe wrong. any feedback is much appreciated. Ian

Sponsored Links
lol that i have gathered now, as it acts like a sponge eventually will the excess damp in the bricks dry out when the cream has cured which is roughly about now to a weeks time? I have also noticed that the wet patches are up the wall (about 7 inches upwards) and not so much in the places at the bottom were i injected Thanks for making me feel about an inch small lol cheers

also just out of curiosity isnt browning the under coat you put on the walls to finish with a finish coat (skim) or is totally different when you have damp and you have to use sand and cement render

Sponsored Links
you use sand & cement with a waterproofer additive to stop the salts weeping through, and a week is a short time,
you might be alright with what you've done, but I have my doubts, depends how bad it was to start with.
at least with browning the walls can breathe easy.

You need to do a proper re-rendering specification using a 3:1 sand cement mix with a salt-proofing additive. Also I think "one-shot" product is one of the low strength damp-proofing creams that are said to be less effective, so you probably haven't blocked all of the damp coming from the ground - see http://www.safeguardeurope.com/pdf_datasheets/dryzone-dpc-cream-test-report.pdf

Whatever the case, you definitely need to hack the plaster off and redo it with a sand:cement render.

Hi
The comment that kevintaylor makes slightly angers me, he either does not know much about the industry or he works for Safeguard, the makers of Dryzone.
I've been doing dampproofing for 15 years and used Dryzone up to about 2 years ago, however I changed to the Platinum One Shot DPC cream because it was about half the price of Dryzone.
The One Shot has a BBA certificate just like Dryzone does, and I have personally carried out over 100 dpc's with this cream and found it every bit as effective as Dryzone.
Safeguard did get Portsmouth University to carry out a test on DPC creams compared with Dryzone, some were found to be weaker than Dryzone, however the weaker creams were never named, so it beggers belief how kevin can name One Shot DPC cream!!!
The One Shot cream may have or may NOT have been tested against Dryzone, but the fact is that the British Board of Agrement (BBA) have tested this product and have certified it as fit for purpose.

Rob is right - dryzone is a safeguard product which is very expensive. They did have Portsmouth University do an experiment for them (Prof Mel Richardson) though this was flawed due to the fact it was used on dry bricks - something which you wouldn't use it for!

A common cream to be used is a Wykamol DPC and I believe it has a BBA. However my advice would be to use a product by a new company called N-Virol.

N-Virol were set up by the creator of the creams at Wykamol, with improvements I presume and judging from their ebay shop it is cheaper as well.

Rob, if you are talking about Platinum Chemicals they actually buy in the N-Virol cream and relabel it. So going to N-Virol may be cheaper still.

Hope this helped

Lils37, you seem to know a lot about this. Do you work for NVirol or something? Otherwise how would you know if Platinum cream is just relabelled Nvirol cream?

One thing that I can't figure out is that if the Platinum cream is just relabelled Nvirol cream how come it has a BBA certificate when the Nvirol one doesn't.

You`re all using KY cream - Rising damp doesn`t exist :mrgreen:

Brismith - Platinum stock two creams as far as I am aware.

(1) Is a Wykamol cream, which has a BBA. Relabelled as Ultracure I think.

(2) Is a N-Virol cream, which does not have a BBA. The product has been developed by the same guy that made all the Wykamol creams, and therefore it would seem logical that he has improved his formula and that is indeed what N-Virol say.

I know this because I spoke to him the other day! Just order a sample from them and try it yourself I guess

The product has been developed by the same guy that made all the Wykamol creams, and therefore it would seem logical that he has improved his formula and that is indeed what N-Virol say.

mmm I'm not so sure about that. The wykamol cream can hardly be considered an improvement on what was already available . It was cheap, but it definitely wasn't good as the dpc products that were already available. Maybe he has just modified his own cream to make it even cheaper so he can make more profit!

Also according the the BBA website the platinum cream does have BBA certification (for what its worth these days) and actually recommends Wykamol refurb plaster so I reckon it's probably relabelled Wykamol cream.

Brismith - You may be right, who knows.

All I can comment on is what I have used and N-Virol worked for me - easy and came with instructions.

Have you used the product?

Given that it takes min 5 to 10 years for brick to dry out (especially when a waterproof render is applied) how can you tell the creams have done their job?? What is your measure of sucess Lils?? I have used the creams and I ain't got a clue if they work or not....just hope they do!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back