New electric hob - should it smoke? Or have I broken it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new Indesit electric hob (7kW, same as old one). I turned all 4 hotplates up to max together to check that everything worked. There were no pans on the hotplates. The stainless steel hob surround got very hot (too hot to touch) and some smoke came off the tops of the plates and wisps of smoke from vents on the bottom of the hob. This went on for about 10 minutes. The smoke does not smell electrical (you know what I mean) and the electrical contacts still all look good.

Is this normal? Or have I broken it? I only found out afterwards that you're not supposed to turn electric hob rings on without pans on them :(

Sponsored Links
This is quite normal and should dissappear quite quickly. When the parts are made they will have oil residue etc on them which will burn off during first use. The manual usually states this.

What does the manual say about switching on the first time?

In the absence of the manual, I would ring the mfr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back