New Plug In Induction Hob Tripping Electrics Occasionally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we had our gas hob removed months ago and finally just got round to putting an induction hob in.

Its a normal 4 ring induction but one of these newer 13amp ones with a moulded plug on.

In the kitchen we have a fused cooker switch on the wall which feeds a 2 gang socket in the cupboard underneath. In this we have the oven plugged in (like always) and now the new hob.

Not every time, but a couple of times when turning it on or pan starts heating the house electrics trip off. If i flick back on and try again all is ok and works fine. Other times it doesnt trip at all.

Any suggestions on things I can look out for?

Sponsored Links
What is tripping? Picture?

Cooker switches are not fused.

The one on the left is what trips

1000010825.jpg

That is a Residual Current Circuit Breaker which detects small currents leaking to earth.

This could be caused by a small fault on a circuit or appliance or just accumulated leakage on all the circuits to the right that are covered by the RCCB.

Most likely caused by heating elements or water leaks.

Unless you can replicate the fault on demand it will be very difficult to find without the proper equipment.

Sponsored Links
That is a Residual Current Circuit Breaker which detects small currents leaking to earth.

This could be caused by a small fault on a circuit or appliance or just accumulated leakage on all the circuits to the right that are covered by the RCCB.

Unless you can replicate the fault on demand it will be very difficult to find without the proper equipment.
induction is not heating the plate/ring

That will happen, if the RCD has tripped!

What other circuits do you have on the consumer unit?. A pic of all of it would help.
I've attached a pic of it all below.

Since I posted this yesterday hob was used a couple of times with no issue yesterday afternoon/evening but then went to use it again half an hour ago and it tripped again. Flicked power back on and it worked fine.

1000010898.jpg

Just to add to this, if it carries on, im tempted to just get one thats hardwired and not plugged.

Given that the cooker has its own circuit, is it possible to use the cable thats currently powering the sockets to power a 'proper' induction hob and a single switch via a junction box or similar?

Just to add to this, if it carries on, im tempted to just get one thats hardwired and not plugged.
That will make no difference - unless,of course, it is your present hob that is faulty.

Given that the cooker has its own circuit, is it possible to use the cable thats currently powering the sockets to power a 'proper' induction hob and a single switch via a junction box or similar?
Did you mean "currently powering the oven"?

I have had an induction hob for around 4 months now. I had the first 3 of them replaced within a week of each other so this is the fourth one.
The option with a plug has very limited capability and requires a change on the default setting if you want to hard wire.
I opted for hard wire from the start and added a new circuit @ 45amps for use with the hob

That will make no difference - unless,of course, it is your present hob that is faulty.

Did you mean "currently powering the oven"?
No, the oven has a 13amp plug, plugged into the socket thats powered by the 45 amp cooker switch. The oven has been in before we moved in though so done by the previous owner, although never had an issue with it.

Assume hardwiring the oven instead wouldn't make a difference either?

No, the oven has a 13amp plug, plugged into the socket thats powered by the 45 amp cooker switch.
Yes, so not on the socket circuit.

Therefore you can connect the hob to this circuit - the cooker circuit.

The oven has been in before we moved in though so done by the previous owner, although never had an issue with it.
Ok.

Assume hardwiring the oven instead wouldn't make a difference either?
You don't need to alter the oven.

Yes, so not on the socket circuit.

Therefore you can connect the hob to this circuit - the cooker circuit.

Ok.

You don't need to alter the oven.
Yeah ok thanks. Was just my wording on the previous response sorry, I mean the wire from the cooker switch powering the sockets in the cupboard where oven and hob are currently plugged in

A lad at work has got an earth leakage clamp that I can borrow, would that be a good start?

Not sure how to use it on my board though, I understand you need to clamp around live and neutral, but each of the circuits in my CU only has live connected at the top, not neutral aswell?

A lad at work has got an earth leakage clamp that I can borrow, would that be a good start?

Not sure how to use it on my board though, I understand you need to clamp around live and neutral, but each of the circuits in my CU only has live connected at the top, not neutral aswell?
Do you really think that clamping round N&L will show EARTH leakage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back