New electric hob. Wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3258.JPG
IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3258.JPG
Hi all. I am replacing my gas hob with an electric hob. I already have a standard power socket behind the oven. Could I connect the hob to that or would it overload the wiring if everything was on full. The breaker in the consumer unit is 32amp (blue colour). Also. The new hob has 5 wires. One is an earth and I presume the others are 2 live and 2 neutral but I am unsure which is which and the manual doesn't say. There are 2 grey and a blue and a black wire.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
One of the Greys is Black.

Did you buy it in Britain?
Were there no instructions with it?

The blue sleeve over the brown and blue would imply that's the neutral but being as it's got a brown and blue in it I would definitely NOT rely on that.

As above, you need the instructions, if it didn't come with any, you should be able to find some with the part number / manufacturer info

One is an earth and I presume the others are 2 live and 2 neutral but I am unsure which is which and the manual doesn't say.
There is usually a label on the back of the hob with wiring information.

I already have a standard power socket behind the oven.
You need an outlet plate to which the wiring can be directly connected. If you currently have a socket for a plug, this will need to be changed.
If the 32A circuit breaker only does the oven/hob via the red switch on the wall, that is ok.

Sponsored Links
Why? Electricity is three times the cost of gas and is less controllable.

Simply because the nice smooth all glass hob is easy to wipe clean :)

Why is it less controllable?? Most people say its a more instant heat etc?

[QUOTE="dapex, post: 3857652, member: 188964]

Why is it less controllable?? Most people say its a more instant heat etc?[/QUOTE]

Inertia. You have to heat up or cool down the glass and element first.

How do we know that it isn't an induction hob?
is an induction hob that much better?? Dont you need special pans?

Either way... I get the impression that the current cooker control unit can then feed a single power socket for the current oven (dont know the rating on the oven but it came with a 13A plug on it) and a cooker connection unit for a new hob?

Dont you need special pans?
You need pans which are suitable for induction, as in those made from steel or with steel in the base. That covers the majority of pans.

Solid aluminium doesn't work, but many aluminium pans have a steel core in the base anyway.

Copper and glass are not suitable but those are unlikely choices for normal cooking.

is an induction hob that much better??
If I had to have an electric hob it would be the only type I would choose.

Either way... I get the impression that the current cooker control unit can then feed a single power socket for the current oven (dont know the rating on the oven but it came with a 13A plug on it) and a cooker connection unit for a new hob?
If the 32A circuit breaker only does the oven/hob via the red switch on the wall, that is ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back