New electric hob. Wiring help needed

image.jpg Just checked. They are all blue. Is that a problem ?

Sponsored Links
Colour of the manufacturers name/logo is not important. What is important is the kw rating and other electrical info of that hob and the information of the circuit its going on. What's the make/model of the hob? Is there a sticker on the hob detailing all the important information?

EDIT: if you can also give us the information for the oven that will also help us tell you about any overloading issues you might have. There's often a sticker on the inside of the door for that.

Just checked. They are all blue. Is that a problem ?
No.

Nor is it in the slightest bit relevant.

The "problem" is that when you said it was blue I thought it was relevant, i.e. that it was a breaker in a range where the ratings are colour coded. I only know of a few makers who do, or did, that, and they don't use blue for 32A.

What is important is the kw rating and other electrical info of that hob
How likely do you think it is that it will be so high that a 32A circuit won't cope with it? It's a domestic hob - how can it possibly be so big?

and the information of the circuit its going on.
The OP has been advised twice that it needs to be dedicated to the oven & hob, and he's neither confirmed nor denied.

if you can also give us the information for the oven that will also help us tell you about any overloading issues you might have. There's often a sticker on the inside of the door for that.
It's a 60cm wide single oven.

I really don't think we need to wonder if the oven + hob might total over 15kW.

Sponsored Links
I know its unlikely to be that powerful ban, but as it hasn't got a plug already on it then the rating could be anything (within reason). While I don't know the ins and outs of all induction hobs I have seen 7.2kw ones which the op could have but we don't know. They mentioned a standard socket behind the oven, I don't know if that's a cooker point or a standard 3 pin socket so they might of been toying with putting a 13amp plug on it?

My main point was to get the information of his hob so we can help him identify the wires and offer some confident and safe advice.

OK - so, 7.2kW hob and a 3kW oven?

Or a 3.6kW oven, assuming a mainland-Europe model?

10.2kW or 10.9kW total?

So well within the capacity of the circuit that I simply don't see how it could ever be so much more than assumptions like that that it would be too much.

Ok maybe my comment about the circuit wasn't specific enough to what I was thinking / concerned with. We still need the hob info in order to help the OP

Well, I guess i's should be crossed and t's dotted, but given the size of the one he is replacing I can't imagine the new one being 12kW or more.

Sorry for the delayed response. The new hob is 7kw. Not sure on the oven wattage but that is fitted as standard with a normal household 3 pin plug. The circuit is only used for the cooker and eventually the cooker and hob combined.

So the two add up to 10kW at most. If you keep a switch which also has a socket then you need the circuit to be rated at no less than 25A.

@dapex have you resolved the issue with the wiring or are you still struggling to wire this up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back