New Euro cylinder lock stuck with key inside and lock not working

Have you tried with the handle in a downward position? Disengaging the mechanism hooks?

Sponsored Links
To remove the cylinder, you need the key in the cylinder to turn the cam.

Sorry, if I am missing something.

Edit- sorry, I posted this at the same time as you. Have you tried the key on the other side of the lock? I wouldn't expect it to make any difference but it will only take seconds.

Yes, I've tried a spare key on the other side of the lock and it goes in but won't turn (in fact it looks like it's not going in as far as it should).

@CBW - I've also tried it with the handle downwards and no joy. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
When you push the handle down, does the mechanism retract the locking arms?

Edit- often if one key is in already, the second will not push all the way in.

When you push the handle down, does the mechanism retract the locking arms?

Edit- often if one key is in already, the second will not push all the way in.
Yes, that seems to be working correctly as it should.

Sponsored Links
Why are there so many scratches on the cylinder.

Personally, I assumed that Union locks were reasonable quality.

Reactions: CBW
Can you (with the euro loose) lift with the key upwards and the lock should move downwards and try this, failing that use a long thin implement, like a screwdriver on the cam, failing that snap it as per @crank39

Last edited:
Sorry I feel like I must clarify, when I said cheap and nasty I wasn't trying to offend but just purely meant it wasn't anything special just a basic model cylinder which would allow snapping if it was the last resort

I'm going to agree with Crank here , sounds very much like the actual barrel is faulty. It is possible to get new items that are faulty , happens a lot on cars would you believe ( don't ask how I know lol ). Looks like you've tried the ways I would , which is unscrew the retaining screw and then try the key , at this point the barrel is loose and If it were part of the lock holding it might free it.. the other way is breaking the barrel , which I'm not going to describe on an open forum but message me if you like

Should add actually, you could remove the handle too , you might be able to get a flat edge down the side of the barrel, once it's unscrewed , and force the cam.round as you turn the key

I'm going to agree with Crank here , sounds very much like the actual barrel is faulty. It is possible to get new items that are faulty , happens a lot on cars would you believe ( don't ask how I know lol ). Looks like you've tried the ways I would , which is unscrew the retaining screw and then try the key , at this point the barrel is loose and If it were part of the lock holding it might free it.. the other way is breaking the barrel , which I'm not going to describe on an open forum but message me if you like

Years ago, my mum wanted black door lock furniture on her front door. I ordered a black thumb turn euro cylinder and a black night latch (using key alike).

The day after I fitted them, the key for the night latch got stuck and the door couldn't be opened (not even from the inside- it had deadlocked). It took me about half an hour to get the key out. I ordered a replacement yale type cylinder for the night latch. Before fitting it, I put the key in and watched as brass filings fell out...

Edit- I now put night latch cylinders in upside down to disable the dead lock.

Last edited:
Can you (with the euro loose) lift with the key upwards and the lock should move downwards and try this, failing that use a long thin implement, like a screwdriver on the cam, failing that snap it as per @crank39

Should add actually, you could remove the handle too , you might be able to get a flat edge down the side of the barrel, once it's unscrewed , and force the cam.round as you turn the key

I tried forcing the cam round by getting a flat edge down the side of the barrel, but it still didn't move. Also tried the lifting described above and that didn't work either.

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd be confident breaking the barrel though - I'd worry I'd end up damaging the door and making everything worse. :LOL: Looks like I'll have to get a locksmith as all other options seem to have been exhausted.

Clearly I'll take the barrel back to Screwfix for a refund if it's faulty. Do you reckon I could also claim the cost of the locksmith from them too? It's likely to cost £100 or so, if not more, which I surely shouldn't have to pay if the locksmith concludes the cylinder was faulty from the start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back