New extension floor has sunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have got a floating wooden joist floor.

The joist are 6inches by 2inches. Covered with 18mm ply. Then I have got polyplumb overlay panels for under floor heating. Then ceramic tiles for finishing.

Its been just over a year and now the floor has dropped by about 1/4inch all round. Gap formed near skirting boards, splash back and work top.

Is this normal? Will it drop more?

Major problem is my tiles are cracking and I have got underflooring heating directly underneath the tiles.

Sponsored Links
If it's a timber joist floor, its possible that the joists have shrunk due to the
u/f heating. This seems confirmed by the fact that the gap is all around the room, rather than just localized. As timber dries out, it can shrink considerably across the grain, and 1/4 " would not be surprising for 6" deep joists.
Its quite likely that the shrinkage is now at or near its maximum; its a pity about the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back