New Extractor fan in clay airbrick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got a clay air brick in our bathroom and want to add a extractor fan. Should I just mortar in a 100mm round pipe(flush with wall on the inside)? do I need to consider anything on the air brick outside? Maybe stop back flow wind and get outside grill?

Sponsored Links
That will probably work; I have something similar but it's at the end of a long duct.
Sometimes the fan includes the anti-backflow shutters, which would solve that problem.

Ok ive it duct in. And put expanding foam in.

I was planning on bonding the internal side . But realised the fan would need a fixing . I presume I can't fix into expanding foam. If I put bonding and filler on top of it can I fix into that? Or should I use strong mortar mix?

Sponsored Links
I'd put in a piece of wood, square with a round hole in it. Or conceivably plasterboard. Fix to surrounding wall (somehow) and fill space behind, around duct, with exp foam. Screw fan to wood.

Is the internal wall tiled?

A couple of steips of wood screwed to the brick set back in the hole, then the square-with-hole-in screwed into them.

Or make the square a good fit, and add some gap filling glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back