New fishtank - weight advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a new fish tank - it's a 450 litre tank so weigh's around 550 litres once filled and with fish in etc.

I live in a first floor flat with block and beam concrete floors - does anyone know whether this is safe?

It is up against an outer wall and what I believe to be a supporting wall.

Tank dimensions are 151x61x64

so far it seems fine, it is a new build-2008 but I'm a bit nervous it might disappear downstairs one day!!!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome SLou :D :D :D

550 kilos is perhaps a large bookshelve and 2 people browsing the books in that area
of course in a party you will have several other people in the room would that worry you!!!! ;)

151cm x 61cm is 0.92m^2.
The total weight of the unit is 550kg which is 5.4 kN which mean the load is 5.85kN/m^2.

A domestic floor is usually designed for 1.5kN/m2 live load spread uniformly over the whole floor area.

As it's up against an outer wall this will mean bending moments and deflections will be lower than if it was in the centre of the room, and as the load is concentrated over a much smaller area (and the floor hasn't yet caved in) then it seems to be capable of carrying the load, but without knowing the floor make up, span lengths etc, there's not way of knowing if it could be proved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back