New Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to fit a new front door/frame/sidelights as existing solid redwood effort is rotten in several places (though probably 10+ years old) The door is the external door on a northfacing porch, and has no protection (canopy) so it get's wet.

This lack of canopy seems to invalidates the warranty of most wooden doors by the look of it - XL warranty state their oak engineered doors need a canopy.

I prefer a wooden door over uPVC. Appreciate views whether you think a veneered engineered door, with prescribed XL paint or high build stain (ie. not varnish, waxes, etc) is likely to be a reasonable option for next 10 years if I refinishing every couple of years.

I not particularly fussed whether painted or natural look, but keen to avoid black staining if left natural or lifting of veneer! :cry:

Many Thanks, Matthew.

Sponsored Links
An engineered timber timber should give you many years service if well maintained I would guess 20-25 years service but would have to check the the manufacturer could possibly give longer depending on protection treatment often applied. There is many buildings with timber doors over 100years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back