New front door

If you do not mind the bit more work involved and the measurements are a very close fit then go for it. I am all for recycling doors rather than landfill.

My neighbour decided to replace their lovely 1930s door witha composite because the lead was falling out.

I took their old door off them and plan to rehang in on my property. All that needs doing is repainting, re-draught proofing and re-leading. It may cost £200 to do properly. There was nothing wrong with the door at all. They paid around £1000 for their new door which was a waste in my opinon. I know it should fit well as the houses were built the same, but there is always a bit of variation so it may need some work here and there. Maybe get some advice on what to get in terms of fitting a reclaimed door. I am sure there are some things to look out for.

Prehaps ring a recommended local carpenter for advice and mabye do a further post in the wood work forum.

I am sure most people on this fourm would agree that for a house with exisiting period features, especially an old cottage, would benifit from a period looking timber door.

Sponsored Links
Ok

We dismissed the composite as not suitable so it's a wood door.

The final choice is new or s/h, well as we couldn't decide on what old door would be best, plus the chances of getting the right one in the size we need is slim. So we shall have a new door

The final piece of the jigsaw is to buy it pre hung or not? looking at the cost there isn't much in it but my gut say's pre hung should be a closer better fit as they have all the jigs available. A local chippy will need to work with what he has in the space he has.

door we have chosen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back