New fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I had my flat rewired in 2008 & had a new fuse box fitted which is a wylex nh 1104 the wires were also changed from the old type black&red to blue&brown the council are fitting a new kitchen are the contractors are saying they need to rewire which I find hard to believe the fuse box has RCBO in the box can anyone advise ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Main switch with 5 RCBOs, and space for another 6.
Certainly no need to replace that.

If the wiring is from 2008, then no need to replace that either - however the label on the CU indicates mixed wiring colours so evidently not all of it was replaced.

They are also saying that it's harder to rewire Ie through my plastic skirting they want to surface mount all new wiring but when it was done in 2008 it was done within the skirting

It may be they were old 1 cable radial circuits and they are now upgrading to Ring circuits requiring 2 cables, which obviosly are bigger and may not pull through the existing channels.

OK down stairs lights not RCD protected so I would assume surface cables for down stairs lights.

Rest RCD protected so 2 x 6A for lights 2 x 32A for sockets and 1 x 32A for cooker.

Skirting needs to either have the sockets also in skirting or be the special skirting trunking to comply.

For any non portable appliances over 2kW there should be a dedicated supply so that would include hob, oven, dish washer, washing machine and tumble drier. But it is rare to do this normally hob and oven will share the same supply and the other three are often plugged into the ring final. However one could not say some was wrong insisting on dedicated supplies even if no normally done.

The consumer unit has 6 spare ways so that could be done without fitting a new consumer unit.

To me some one is on a job creation scheme but maybe some thing your not saying. Would be better if you posted your own pictures not relying on some one to do it for you.

Would be better if you posted your own pictures not relying on some one to do it for you.

Give the girl a break :) Shes new and done a damn sight better than some more established members

Welcome donna
On the screen where you post
In blue letters below the white TEXT BOX it says "Show My Images"
Left click on that and your pics come up
Left click on the relevant pic and it will add into your post :cool:

this is what they did to a neighbours socket cant understand why they would put a new socket in a leave the old one with a face plat on and at the height looks terrible if they replace a socket...

should it be at that height I thought as the building is not a new build it goes to the existing place IE above skirting

Does your flat really have two floors? If not what do the different up/down socket and lighting circuit breakers control?

The council tend to have a standard for all houses regardless of the owner, the height is to facilitate older tenants regardless of who lives there now.

Rather than JOINTING cables its safer and easier to rewire to the new points.

Removing the old would cause damage to decor and tenants would moan about that, so that was proberly the neatest option.

For any non portable appliances over 2kW there should be a dedicated supply so that would include hob, oven, ... But it is rare to do this normally hob and oven will share the same supply ...
I'm not sure that even the guidance in Appendix 15 of the regs actually says that. The comment is in relation to avoidance of overloading of ring finals and, in that context, suggests that cookers, ovens and hobs >2kW should not be connected to a ring final but, rather, should be on a 'dedicated radial circuit'.

I would not personally take that to mean that an oven and a hob have to have separate 'dedicated circuits' (rather than being supplied by a single 'dedicated cooking appliances radial circuit'). It would certainly make little sense if a large cooker (involving oven and hob) was deemed fine on a single circuit, whereas if the oven and hob were bought separately, one would then require two separate circuits!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back