Must my fuse box be replaced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a new bathroom fitted and as part of that there is a fair bit of electrical work.

We have had a survey by the contractors and have been informed that our fuse box needs to be replaced as it doesn't have an RCD, and Part P has been quoted at me.

Powergen's best advise was to "search the net" :eek: ! Thanx - I had thought of that myself!! :mad:

The fuse box is a Wylex branded thing, with 4 "re-settable" fuses and an on-off switch (appologise for the idiots terminlogy :oops: ).

Can anyone advise if this is correct or am I being taken for a ride?

Sponsored Links
To comply with current regs all socket that can be used for outside equipment and showers must be protected by a RCD.

They could fit a single RCD to supply the shower, housed on its own.

Thanx Qedelec, I put this to them and see what they say.

Oh, how I wish I understood more....

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
To comply with current regs showers must be protected by a RCD.
Which reg number is that? ;)

And anyway - the IEE regs are not mandated by Part P.

HOWEVER - RCD protection for sockets and the shower is Very Good Idea, so you should have it done. But you can't be forced to, unless it's a TT supply, and then there is always the option of adding a standalone RCD to the installation.

Notwithstanding #9, how much have they said the new CU will cost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back