RCD wiring into fuse box

Im a vehicle technician by trade and on the car forums you get some right twerps who think they know everything and advise people to do stupid stuff!
Well, let's advise you to not do something stupid, but instead to get an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Ahh everyone is so nice here.

Yes we are. Right up until the moment a poster starts being abusive because they don't like waht they're being told.

We come here and post for free in our spare time to try and help complete strangers, because we are nice natured people.

If we feel someone is out of their depth, we will tell them they need to employ a professional to do the work for them for their own protection.

If they don't like it, tough.

Sponsored Links
There was a link to a YouTube video a couple of weeks back by a polish guy replacing his cu, maybe worth a look. Still, myself I would get a few more quotes for this particular job. I would expect your rcd came with wiring instructions,as would the shower but as before you need mcb tooand how would you test it all?

But where in the main fuse box do I take a feed from???...this is where I am stuck.
The simple answer is - you can't.

For one thing, this is notifiable work, so connecting in there would mean you breaking the law.
Another is that breakers for that board are well and truly obsolete, so you won't be finding any of them anywhere.

As for the RCD - this is definitely a case of if you need to ask, then you are well short of the required skills and competence to install it safely.
That's not just your safety either - but the safety of others who might have the misfortune to be in your property or (hopefully not) be using the shower.

You may probably not want to know that your idea of installing the cables, shower or whatever else and then obtaining some electrician type to connect it up for you won't work out as you want either.

got some wonderful help and clarification on a electricians forum

Will be using a type2 mk 40a MCB in the current CU and then to the seperate RCD unit.

Yup floorboards are up as we speak, type, talk, whatever.

Found brand new 40a MCB, on order.

Seeyas

Methinks the OP has gone to a.n.other place and unusually for over there appears to be getting a lot of help seeing as how a fair few questions are pretty basic stuff!

Will be using a type2 mk 40a MCB in the current CU and then to the seperate RCD unit.

Seeyas
I think that's pretty much what I said as an unqualified person. I also mentioned rcbo which would have greatly simplified the job :) did the other forum talk you through the cable install and tests?

Seeyas

I see you can't even follow the advice they gave you.

Perhaps as welll seeing as it's wrong. :rolleyes:

I think folk may be being a bit hostile towards Piggy, so I'll give him a bit of help.

The consumer unit is not a current model, so getting an MCB for it may be a problem.

E-bay may have one.

Other alternative is splitting the tails between the meter and the consumer unit. This means fitting an Isco block between, with tails going to your RCD unit, with a 40 amp MCB in it AS WELL. THIS IS A JOB FOR AN ELECTRICIAN.

Other alternative is a whole new fuse box, with RCDs covering probably all circuits. This will save you using that RCD board as well. THIS IS A JOB FOR AN ELECTRICIAN.

I notice most of what I've said has been mentioned on the other forum, but my advice to you is to seriously consider getting an electrician to do this work.

Methinks the OP has gone to a.n.other place and unusually for over there appears to be getting a lot of help seeing as how a fair few questions are pretty basic stuff!
The penny has dropped there, too.

Took a while, but then a lot of the guys there are pretty thick.

I wonder if there's any point asking Piggy about the testing he plans to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back