RCD wiring into fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all,
This appears a very useful and helpful site...

Done some searching but no threads/post seem to quite hit what I am after.

I am putting in a 7.5kw shower, 10mm cabling, with 40a isolating pull cord switch and I am now in process of pulling back the carpet to run it across a room and down to the RCD/fuse box.

We have a fuse box for the house circuits. I believe RCD is the way to go for me shower.

So I have a RCD box I had from previous project which never happened in previous house.

20121126_174854.jpg

Question to confirm....wiring from fuse box into RCD, N on L, Live on right, supply top and load bottom, earths on top right....yeah?

But where in the main fuse box do I take a feed from???...this is where I am stuck.

Regards
Piggy

Sponsored Links
lol....tiz true though...seems to have some experts on here...

Im a vehicle technician by trade and on the car forums you get some right twerps who think they know everything and advise people to do stupid stuff!

Firstly, do you have any spare ways at the consumer unit?

Send pictures of the main consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Im a vehicle technician by trade and on the car forums you get some right twerps who think they know everything and advise people to do stupid stuff!
Well here it is different, here there are people who do know quite a lot and they will tell people like you to get an electrician to do the work you are obviously too ignorant ( un-informed ) to do safely.

Well here it is different, here there are people who do know quite a lot and they will tell people like you to get an electrician to do the work you are obviously too ignorant ( un-informed ) to do safely.

wow, so nice to get a welcome.

As I always suggest, if you have time to make poor comments like this, you need a girl. :p

Sorry I've just seen your reply above, so I have removed my helpful advice. :rolleyes:

They can be very protective of their profession, or peoples lives, whichever way you look at it. I'm no expert but I believe in addition to rcd protection you would need mcb protection I have no idea how to connect it all up however I believe you could use an rcbo to do both jobs in one go. I think there may also be dedicated shower setups available for what you want. I believe. this job is notifiablewhich involves large fees to your council,. Personally I would use a pro who can self certify and knows the regs. Of course there is no guarantee your pro will do a good job but sadly that's life

They can be very protective of their profession, or peoples lives, whichever way you look at it. I'm no expert but I believe in addition to rcd protection you would need mcb protection I have no idea how to connect it all up however I believe you could use an rcbo to do both jobs in one go. I think there may also be dedicated shower setups available for what you want. I believe. this job is notifiablewhich involves large fees to your council,. Personally I would use a pro who can self certify and knows the regs. Of course there is no guarantee your pro will do a good job but sadly that's life

then why are they on here giving advice?!

People go about their lives with DIY mechanics working on making 1.5tonne death machines yet no one gives a hoot.

Someone tries to save a few quid in having a warm shower and all hell breaks loose.

I am trying to do as much leg work as possible before calling in a cowboy....this is because we were quoted £525 for the install by the electricians!

Oh so we're all cowboys now?

I think that's your thread finished then.

Oh so we're all cowboys now?

I think that's your thread finished then.

Ahh everyone is so nice here.

I been done over by electricians so many times I cant count, hence why I am posting here.

My previous neighbor was a close friend and a great sparky, but I moved across the country and lost trust in other sparkys. Especially after the quote I received for the install.

But thankyou SO MUCH for all the useful information supplied, lots of thanks, peace

People go about their lives with DIY mechanics working on making 1.5tonne death machines yet no one gives a hoot.!
Until there is a fatal accident due to the DIY work. If the driver of the death trap survives he and the DIYer will be prosecuted if the car is not roadworthy.

Not many DIY car mechanics design the braking system for their car but many copy the existing with identical parts. Unless you have employed an electrician to design the installation you may be using the wrong size o cable if you are not aware of how cable has to be derated depending on how and where the cable is installed.

bit late for everyone when the DIY mechanic has caused a 20 car pile up on the motorway killing and injuring families and themselves.

I hope all your vans breakdown and you get ripped off by your garage :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back