New Galaxy Dimension - a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked at various forums I figured to post here as there seems to be a lot of worthwhile experience without some of the attitude I have seen on some of the 'professional forums'.
So greetings everyone - first post.

I bought a new Galaxy Dimension G520 off ebay. Although I don't work in the alarm industry I have some experience of these units while working for a previous employer when I wrote a Crestron module to control these.
I have a pretty good understanding of the SIA protocol as a result, hence the reason for going with a Galaxy.

I have set the unit up on my workbench for the time being and I'm using a double light switch to simulate the door contacts.
These are currently wired to zones 1 & 2 which I have configured as FINAL.
The contacts are wired double balanced with 1K across the switch contacts and 1K EOL, no tampers and no Anti-mask.
Zone states are indicated correctly in Menu 21=DISPLAY ZONES as open or closed depending on the light switches.
All other zones are 'SPARE'
Unit is fitted with:
1 x CP038-01 Keyprox (currently)
1 x E080-04 Ethernet
1 x AG8 External siren
Currently 1 X 7Ah battery but plan on adding second at a later stage.

I also have a P026 RIO expander which will be fitted in some outbuildings once I have set up the main house & installed the alarm.
No plans at this stage to link the system to a monitoring service by may do at a later stage.

So I have a few questions for you guys if you could help me out with a few teething problems:

I currently have two zones setup as FINAL. I can set the alarm using a PIN on the keyprox, fob, Crestron and Gx RemoteControl App and all works as expected.
Un-setting however is proving to be a bit troublesome. I can unset using the fob, Crestron and the Gx RemoteControl app but not the Keyprox keypad.
When I attempt to type in a PIN on the keyprox it does nothing - won't take input.
The alarm will trip and then I can then enter a PIN successfully. It's like the keypad is locked out when the final zone is entered.
Q: What have I missed here?

Although new, the unit thinks it's an ADT system. This was reflected by the fact that when powered up and the card removed from the battery for the first time it only gave me some ADT options. (Can't remember what they were offhand but I had no choice but to use them)
No big deal and I can live with that as I assume that is built into the ADT Galaxy firmware.
Q: What I'd like to know is does the system dial out to ADT? I can't see anything in the engineer mode that lists any phone numbers.
Q: If it does where do I disable this function?

When a fault is detected I get a message on the Keyprox stating to ring the Alarm Co. and quote code XXXXX.
Q: Any way to disable those messages?
Q: Also is there a list of what those codes are? (I assume they are specific to ADT panels)

As stated previously I am using the Gx RemoteControl App.
I have set this up as follows:
Menu: 56=COMMUNICATIONS>04=ETHERNET>03=REMOTE ACCESS>01=ACCESS PERIOD>4=ANY TIME
This worked for a bit then stopped. I think there is a built-in 40 minute time-out.
However just tried it again and now I get a connection time-out on the app despite going back into Engineer and setting it again.
Ethernet card is connected and online and I can ping it too.
Q: What settings do I need to make the app persistent?

I'd like to add a second battery and have read that for Grade 3 you can't wire them in parallel.
Q: Is it worth my while fitting the second battery at all, along with an A079 a Dual Battery Monitor?

Q: For magnetic window contacts - am I best leaving these zones as TAMPER?

One final question - in the AG8 install manual it states that TR- (neg tamper return) is wired to connector T on the Galaxy PCB.
Q: Where is connector T? I can't see it anywhere.

Apologies for the rather long post.
Thanks in advance
-slip

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. You need to set the DD243 option 51.54 'always' to enable keypad on entry (you are suffering from an ADT default).
2. The panel will not have an account number, so will not dial out.
3. Another ADT default. Change option 51.67 (remote reset) to 0 (off).
4. There should be no timeout when set to always. What is the panel and module FW versions ? Display->System and 60-Diagnostics - Comm's provide the info.
5. If you need the current for standby then yes, but you can get pretty hefty single battery in there for domestic.
6. Magnetic contacts should be 'Intruder'.
7. Aux Tamp - second terminal from the right horizontal block.

Have fun :)

Galaxy Guy,
Thanks for the prompt response.

That worked - Why would they do that?

Great news

51.67 takes me to 51=PARAMETERS.67=LEVEL FORMAT which then gives me two options> 1. EN.Galaxy 2. Galaxy.
I found 60=ENGINEER 2>67=REMOTE RESET

20.23 gives me the following:
GROUPS A-D etc
TYPE -GALAXY 520
VERSION 6.92
RIOS's FITTED - 2
CODES USED 5
K/PADS FITTED - 3
COMMS MODULE - 3
PRINTER - 0
RF PORTALS - 0
MAX MODULES - 1
DCM MODULES - 0
MUX MODULES - 0
Panel Location - blank
Default Set - ADT Com UK
Not sure where I get module FW.

So better off just getting a bigger battery, Thanks

Done - thanks

Ahh - AUX TAMP, why can't they just say that in their documentation :)

I'm quite enjoying this, despite the documentation either being too verbose or not detailed enough.

Cheers
-slip

1. It's a police requirement for fob-only unset.
3. Yes, sorry wrong base menu. Set remote reset to off.
4. Looks like your panel firmware is at the latest 6.92. The modules are shown in eng diagnostics menu 60 under the comm's modules.

I'm assuming that you are using the app as a standard user. There shouldn't be any problems with that. Also, ensure that you don't have any outputs programmed for remote control, as there's a bug with the current firmware/app combination on the GD520.

Sponsored Links
Thanks once again for your time and effort.

OK - makes sense now you explained it

So set REMOTE RESET=OFF
Now if I simulate a fault condition (pull battery power for instance) I now get a message 'CALL ENGINEER RESET REQUIRED'
Is that normal behaviour?
I can clear it by simply entering engineer mode & back out again.
I have to try and make this system as wife/kid friendly as possible so are there any further options that I can set so that in the event that a fault condition occurs while I am away my wife/kids can set the alarm?
At the moment it won't allow a set until it has been engineer reset.

ETHERNET - V3.02
INT TELECOMS - V6.92
INT RS232 - V6.92

Will have another play with the App in a bit.
I am currently only using my account which I have set to L6*.
Currently I have no outputs programmed apart from the defaults for the AG8.
I was mistaken about the message on the Gx App - it simply states 'Lost Connectivity with panel, please try to reconnect' - just tried it again.
So the app connects to the panel then disconnects.

Cheers
-slip

OK may be getting somewhere.
56>4>03>1>4
Then
56>4>03>2>1 - This was set to 2 (manager authorise)

Will leave the system for a couple of hours and see if it holds.

Regards
-slip

Did notice that once I had set up the remote access correctly, system seems sluggish now - entering PIN numbers take about 0.5-1s for the *'s to appear.
Was instantaneous before.
-s

Your firmware looks fine. You will need to increase the access level of the user if you want them to be able to reset alarms.

Yes, should be Anytime and Direct access in the remote settings.

Shouldn't be sluggish - especially when you're at home on the local LAN.

I've sent you a question via PM.

GalaxyGuy, please check your inbox.

So I just powered the Galaxy up again on my bench today and now have an error:
COMMS LINE FAIL
+LINE FAILCOM 4
What does that mean?

To get rid of the engineer reset for faults etc, you need to change the options in menu 51, option 65 (reset levels). Anything set to 3.7 is engineer reset (or remote reset, if that's enabled) Dropping the reset levels down to 2.1 will allow basic users to reset faults and tampers etc.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info.
51.65.n only allows me to set the options between level 3 - 7.
Setting each of these to level 6 now brings up a Manager Reset Required which is much more wife friendly as she will not have to deal with the Engineer menu at all.
This may not be quite so secure but it is sufficient for now.
Might be different if I decide to sign up to a monitoring service further down the line though, at least she won't have to deal with it then.

So many thanks for that - sorted.

Now if I'm not pushing my luck, I have a couple more questions for you guys:

As stated in my first post I have a P026 that will be located in a outbuilding.
This consists of 3 individual garages. Each garage has an up and over door into a private road. Each Garage has a external domestic door into my garden.
So there is access through each garage to the garden.
Each door will be wired to the P026 zones along with PIR's, break glass and smoke detectors.

Now I am trying to get my head around groups and what I envisaged is like so:
Group 1 - Main house
Group 2 - Garage 1
Group 3 - Garage 2
Group 4 - Garage 3
Group 5 - Garden equipment shed

I just can't seem to be able to get my head around setting this up.
I have set up each of the groups (I think) but I can't seem to make any progress from there.

I'm pretty sure that at my previous employer we could set the Galaxy by entering our PIN+A + a number to select the group.
Now my memory may be a little hazy on that front.

Q: Where in the settings do I set this up?
I have been through the programming and operations manual a few times now but can't seem to clinch this one.

The garages are located about 100' away from the main house so I am planning on running cabling down subterranean pipe.
This would comprise:
2 X CAT6
1 X Belden 8723 for the P026

I figure that I would need to include a tamper back to the main panel as well in the event of a cable cut.
As the P026 supplies the power I figured on using the red/black pair for the tamper.
Q: Is this a suitable arrangement?

Cheers guys
-slip

Last edited:
If you're going down the route of setting up groups it's so much easier with RSS.

You don't need an additional tamper line, as the bus is monitored for any issues. If a slave device disappears off the bus, you will get a +RIO XX TAMPER at the main panel.

Unfortunately I don't have RSS so I hope there is some way of doing this from a keypad.

I have a Reason8 that I was planning on wiring to the outputs on the P026, will this still trigger?
I take it that I can program the +RIO XX TAMPER to trigger some kind of alarm in the main house - ideally just the main panel loudspeaker?

Cheers
-slip

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back