New Garage Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking at converting our existing integral double garage and building a new detached double garage in our front garden.

Just a question about planning on the new garage. Our front garden is a good size, plenty for the garage and it will easily be 4 meters away from the boundry. But reading I see we will need planning permission as it will be at the front of the house if it faces onto a road. We live on a 'close' which is access for the 5 houses on it. A long shot I know, but is that classed as a 'road'? Just checking we definitely need planning permission.

Thanks for any help!

Paul

Sponsored Links
The front of your house is nearly always classed as the principal elevation- any building forward of it needs planning permission.
Have a look round your neighbourhood- has anyone else done similar? If not then your odds of success are low.

The front of your house is nearly always classed as the principal elevation- any building forward of it needs planning permission.
Have a look round your neighbourhood- has anyone else done similar? If not then your odds of success are low.

I don’t know of any others. Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a quick guide somewhere of what the planners consider in a new garage application please?

Check your local councils' website. Some LAs still offer free or cheap pre-application advice, the Local Plan may be worth a read (but prob not for your purposes).
The main thing planners will look at for stuff forward of the PE is the visual effect it will have on the neighbourhood. There are technical considerations about visibilty splays for the road but I don't think your plan will get that far unless your proposed garage blends into the existing built environment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back