New grass dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two months after turfing the end of my garden its now getting patchy and theres lots of yellow grass. The rest of the lawn is like that also but the difference is that this patch got top soil, enough water and is getting enough light. I am starting to wonder if the ground is contaminated? Pictures of before and now two months later

Sponsored Links
But I thought grass was hardy, is there a underlying problem here why my grass isn't growing?

Sponsored Links
the most common cause of yellowing on new turf is when its 6 inches of topsoil laid over rubble etc and it doesn't hold water well enough.

Would need a few better closer photo's to be of more help.

Do you have a dog?

No dog but certainly cleared stacks of bricks, pipes, bottles when digging over but then that just leaves soil surely so thats ok? Ill post some more photos shortly

Looking at the second picture there is a definite colour difference with a patch of dark green against the wall,is the soil under that different to the rest.

No, in the second picture that darker green bit is the freshly laid turf, the bit in question. There used to be decking there so i ripped up the old decking with the intent of turfing the entire lawn but couldnt afford it so i thought id just laid some new turf where the decking was. The rest of the lawn is knackered as well so i figured that if i could get the 'decking' bit to grown then i would understand better why the rest of the lawn doesnt grow as that is only 4 years old. It looks like the new lawn is following the old lawn in being half bare and never growing.

The first picture is the newly laid turf close up now so you can see its not green as it used to be!

I don't think I'd worry about it yet. The new turf will still be rooting into the prepared ground and the chances are that it just isn't getting enough nutrients to sustain it. The turf growers will have fed it like billy-o and then cut off most of its roots when they lifted it. As HERTSDRAINAGE2010 suggested you could feed it a bit or just leave it until next year and feed it in the Spring.

Can you post a few pictures of yellow bits within both the new turf and old lawn?

cant see close enough from the photos but that colour looks like moss to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back