NEW GUTTERING BUT INTERIOR WATER PENETRATION. PLS HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2 bed mid terrace house and I am experiencing damp problems at the front of the house. I was advised that the guttering needed replacing which I have had done. However when there is a heavy downpour water streams down the front outside wall from the roof. More distressing is that when this happens water starts to drip from around the top of the windows frames on the inside of the rooms involving this wall. At first the water only seemed to drip in the downstairs room (where the window frame is fitted into the recess), but now it has started dripping from the window recess in the room above too. I am on a relatively low income since my husband left and would really appreciate any advice.. I just don't know where to start. I am sorry if my discription is not too great, but i can supply some images of the affected area if needbe. My deep thanks for any help that may be offered. Taz

Sponsored Links
The problem with terraces is that you can't always get the fall (slope) necessary to let the water run away, so it spills over the top. If people either side of you have had new guttering and they've raised theirs a bit you can be the low point in the chain and you get the sort of problems you are getting. Sometimes you can just wedge slate under it to give the fall. Also, check that when it rains the downpipe is discharging water as if it is blocked you'll get the same problem. Does your house have a downpipe? If not, as a last resort you can always add one.

Thanks for your reply... I was the first to have the guttering replaced.

The day after the roofer did the RHS next door..I guess if the street slopes it would be from left to right downwrds.

The other neighbours guttering on the LHS has not replaced the guttering on theirs.

Can you take a photo?

As joe says, an extra down pipe will help as there maybe not enough downpipe to cope with the rain demand or the gutter not fitted correctly to drain out, not sure why you had the gutter replace, was it leaking?

Sponsored Links
how is the rain dripping inside the rooms at the top of the window frames? My neighbour says it must be getting between the wall cavity and running down.....do you think this is the case?
thanks again for your kindness in replying.

what type of guttering have you got. I think you must have lead lined guttering by the amount of water you are getting in your house.

Yes. It is common for water to drip down the cavity.

I don't know if the roof is felted, my neighbour says she thinks these aren't.

If it is not felted is this the problem? and would it cost a fortune to have this done, if so are there any alternatives to having it all felted? I really appreciate any advice given. Taz

have you had a word with the roofer who did your guttering and if so what has he said.

What does felt have to do with it? It's the gutter overflowing. :confused:

New felt means new roof £5k upwards.

If it didn't need felt before it doesn't need it now.

It just needs the fall of the gutter adjusting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back