NEW GUTTERING BUT INTERIOR WATER PENETRATION. PLS HELP

Roofer will say it needs felting, he wants the work! :rolleyes: House of that era is unlikely to have cavity walls, 9" solid brickwork is the norm.

I'd say the gutter is overflowing, and the water is pouring over the edge, then running down the wall and finding its way inside. Probably best solution is to get a downpipe added on your property, so hopefully it'll keep your section of gutter draining correctly. It can be difficult to align a gutter to fall correctly on these old properties as you're governed by the corbelling in the brickwork. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Would this prevent water going into the cavity if this is what's causing the water to come into the rooms?

It appears that water is spilling out the back of the new guttering and running down into the rooms below. I can't say for definite if your house has a cavity or not, most houses of that age don't, but I can't see any header bricks to confirm it. Anyway, the first thing to do is stop the gutter overflowing. It may be an adjustment or, if not, a new downpipe.

If you were local to me, I'd come over and give you one. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Would it help if i said that water is not running down the walls in the rooms, but is dripping from where the window frame meets the plastered recess into which the window's fitted.

I believe cavity wall insulation was inserted 4 years ago.

Well that's not a roof issue - just the gutter overflowing. It's not an expensive fix whichever way it gets sorted.

you say you had your gutters changed but in your pic, your stating wooden gutters which are lead lined I presume. how much did you pay and was scaffolding used.

buttonbadge,

I see you marked on the picture that the guttering is wooden. I really would doubt that. It looks a bit like seamless aluminium but very difficult to be sure from the picture.

I have to say that I really think the guttering is the source of your problem
Felting a roof is nothing more than a modern way of roofing. The felt is not there to stop water getting in although it does act as a secondary backup if you loose a few slates/tles.

The joint to your neighbour looks a bit strange as if the gutters are different profiles. It is possible that an unsuitable gutter has been installed with a lower capacity than the original, causing it to overflow. If that is the case the installer wants putting up against the wall and shooting. If your gutter was installer lower than the neighbours who have a downpipe it will have water standing in it, again reducing the capacity it can handle.

Anyone who suggests your pitched roof needs felting to solve a leak is a cowboy and if they did the guttering you have found the problem.

Edit: I note you said you were the first to have guttering replaced. If the problem only arose after the next house was done, it is possible their installation has caused the problem or added to it. As others have already pointed out it is important that the falls of all the gutters for houses that share a common downpipe are dome correctly.

Yes. It is common for water to drip down the cavity.

We've said all that already. :rolleyes:

I also said it would be unlikely for a build of that era to have cavity walls, and the corbelling of the brickwork at the eaves level can make if awkward to achieve a suitable fall on the gutter. Please enlighten me as to where that was said previously, as I am unable to see it.... :rolleyes:

She told you it was a cavity. Can't see any headers - can you?

i paid £400 and no scaffolding was used. I am sure they are wood, but whether they're lead lined i dunno.....

you say you had your gutters changed but in your pic, your stating wooden gutters which are lead lined I presume. how much did you pay and was scaffolding used.

Are the roof tiles in good condition? can you see in your loft at the wallplate for dryness or stained water on the rafters?

If all okay then really need to re-design the gutter/downpipe etc

Is the guy who you paid saying he cant fix the problem he was paid to do, then get someone else do not give him any more money because it does not sound like he is up to the job to me.

It all comes down to whether the roof was leaking in the first instance. If so, did the gutter change make any difference? He's probably not replaced any lead liner but just used something like Flashband.

the roof sounds like its in its original condition but I think for 400 quid you could of replaced the guttering and replaced a few slates and put a down pipe if necessary if he has any professional pride then he will sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back