New Guy

Could I suggest that you and anyone else in a similar position should in future post this kind of discussion in the Combustion Chamber where we can feel more relaxed to give technical advice.

I feel rather embarased about the public being able to read it!

I am surprised that the Mod 10 did not move it! Whilst I generally dont like any significant mod action there are some situations when a gentle action with explaining emails are a better solution.

Sponsored Links
What technical advice could be given simple, it is ffd or blocked burner holes nothing technical there basic cooker repair that is given in a lot of customer user instructions

Thanks all you have really buffed me up tonight. I would love to say that ive got loads of work on but as I stated ive just started and have no customer base as yet, so the only way I can see myself going forward is to accept anything that comes my way as I am one of many who has a sky high mortgage and wife to take care of. Id love to be involved in the rat race to install boilers or even do x amount of services a day, which im sure will come eventually.

You guys are right by the way tho with regards to training centres, after I had completed my training the centre werent much help at all. There are loads of lads and lasses now getting trained up but not getting the chance of a job afterwards and then the skills learned go to waste. A friend and myself were discussing the idea of an after care centre where you could continue to practice your skills with prospective employers popping in from time to time to check out the work and maybe offer jobs to some of the lads, they would then be able to discuss with tutors and see first hand the work done by an engineer. As I wasnt time served it took me nearly a year to find employment in the industry and a ridiculeous amount of letters to firms before I was taken on (due to not having much on the job experience and not being time served). If there is such a short fall of engineers in our industry the government should offer more funding and as pointed out by others have tighter measures in place for centres passing people or offer the larger companies bigger incentives to start more apprentices.

Im 31 now and glad i have found my vocation in life but at the same time gutted that there is not enough help out there for youngsters leaving school who havent got a clue what they want to do with there lives

Anyway happy posting boys and thanks again for the advice

Biggles1977

If there is such a short fall of engineers in our industry the government should offer more funding

Thats the problem, there isn't. It's all media hype that there are not enough gas engineers out there, mainly through lobbying by the training centres :eek: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I've got to admit that I find fitting boilers is the most boring part of gas work.. I do however love doing repairs and when a customer wants his or her cooker fixed I am more than happy to do it... I do warn the customer that if the cooker is getting on a bit then it may be a more cost effective solution to buy a new cooker but the fancy cooking ranges are worth working on.. Especially when other gas men turn their noses up at them... My local training centre is very thorough in the way that it trains guys and I was pleased with the quality of the way that they taught during my recent ACS renewal... Even better was the fact that our local CORGI rep was also sitting some exams, it was nice to see him scratching his head for a change ;)

My local training centre is very thorough in the way that it trains guys and I was pleased with the quality of the way that they taught during my recent ACS renewal... Even better was the fact that our local CORGI rep was also sitting some exams, it was nice to see him scratching his head for a change ;)

I do have to say that my limited experience of ACS assessments centres is that they were very strict and fair.

My one experience of an ACOPs assessment at BG in Leicester was that it was totally unrealistic. When the two being assessed with me had never done a tightness test before, I was just asked to show them how to do it!!! They passed too!

Tony

My point to the OP is where did he do his training if there were people on the course who were not gaining work exp. It is a requirement of ACS that operatives have practical experience before sitting the assessment. Unfortunatley the ACS is based on safety only not repair skills. I wish it was based on other skills as well as safety. At our centre we are setting up and running basic electrics and fault finding courses and a Combi course. The problem we have encountered are the fact these courses are expensive to set up and run and once the majority of engineers have gained there CCN1 they are not so keen to pay for courses and take time off work to attend.

Must go off to assess CCN1.

PS I still work in the industry as well as running a centre and wish to point out although we are in the business to make money, we like to be sure all who leave are safe. It is like the same argument from customers on prices quoted for boiler changes... it's not all profit, we have large overheads and like boiler engineers slack times due to holidays etc to account for.

Agile .Out of interest when did you sit an ACOPS at BG leicester and what was the name of the centre. And where on site was the building

Agile .Out of interest when did you sit an ACOPS at BG leicester and what was the name of the centre. And where on site was the building

I am sorry, it was in Leeds not Leicester! I have been reading too much on here about BG guys being assessed in Leicester.

Quite a while ago! BG working depot/training with small gas holder on left of the entrance.

Massive building not very fully utilised. Canteen was quite good in an old fashioned home cooking way.

It was the only place I could find at the time to do commercial laundry appliances ( gas dryers ).

Tony

Its just a knew it could not have been leicester as they did not do any outsiders for acops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back