new hard drive

breezer - my mistake - on further looking hard drive has one ribbon cable to motherboard - DVD and CD connectected by another

Tony

Sponsored Links
will try setting as you described - do i need to do anything with bios - going to take CD offline for min - will let you know what happens

thanks for help

Tony

i was always told (so dont know if its true, but have always done it) the main hd should alwys be Ma on the primary hd cable. you may want to check and see where yours is.

another thing i have done before now, put new hd in another pc as sl , get old pc to fomat hd, then put it into new pc

TonyV said:
don't know whether this helps or not - system will load windows 98 disc - unfortunatley don't know code for this disc anymore - now will only boot into 98 - asking for code

any help?

Tony

Ok, i'm a little confised as to where you are now.

Have a look at the BIOS and check the status of the drives. Is the new drive being recognised? Are the optical drives being recognised?

It sounds like you've managed to partially load Windows 98. Is this correct. If so, the drives should be configured.

What happens when you try to boot from your XP CD? You might need to alter the boot sequence in the BIOS to make the system boot from the drive containing the CD.

Breezer said:
i was always told (so dont know if its true, but have always done it) the main hd should alwys be Ma on the primary hd cable. you may want to check and see where yours is.

The BIOS determines the boot sequence, so the main drive can (generally) be on any channel as long as it is bootable.

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
The BIOS determines the boot sequence, so the main drive can (generally) be on any channel as long as it is bootable.

I was not sure but thankyou, i now recall it does say in the bios what order to bootin, but never noticed an option to say which is the hd.

i recall (may be wrong) boot from floppy, cd or hd as options.

i hate the bios, i am always worried i will do something i shouldn't

empip said:
Maxtor said:
Note: Hard drives should never be configured as a Slave device to a CD-ROM or DVD drive.

It will work, however, performance will be degraded. It's best to keep the optical devices on a separate channel from hard drive. I must admit, I don't use IDE drives in the new machines I build. I prefer SATA.

Did anyone mention the cable?
[url=http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html]LINK[/url] said:
Unfortunately, regular 40-conductor IDE/ATA cables don't support cable select. (Why this came about I do not know, but I suspect that some bean counter determined they could save five cents on each PC by doing this.) So to use cable select you need a special cable, and these are of course non-standard, making them a special purchase. Also, many people don't understand cable select, nor do they realize it needs a special cable. If you set both drives to "CS" and then use them on a regular (non-cable-select) IDE cable, both drives will configure themselves as "master", causing a configuration conflict.
Is the above statement now out of date?

My Dell XPS did not have the CS type..

Also about ATAPI .. It was mentioned.
http://www.ata-atapi.com/index.htm
:eek:

empip said:
Did anyone mention the cable?
[url=http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html]LINK[/url] said:
Unfortunately, regular 40-conductor IDE/ATA cables don't support cable select. (Why this came about I do not know, but I suspect that some bean counter determined they could save five cents on each PC by doing this.) So to use cable select you need a special cable, and these are of course non-standard, making them a special purchase. Also, many people don't understand cable select, nor do they realize it needs a special cable. If you set both drives to "CS" and then use them on a regular (non-cable-select) IDE cable, both drives will configure themselves as "master", causing a configuration conflict.
Is the above statement now out of date?

My Dell XPS did not have the CS type..

Also about ATAPI .. It was mentioned.
http://www.ata-atapi.com/index.htm
:eek:

This is true, which is why it's best to set set the jumpers to master and slave.

As I mentioned previously, you also cannot mix a master/slave setting on one drive and cable select on the other. (Assuming they are connected to the same channel)

breezer said:
Igorian said:

I was not sure but thankyou, i now recall it does say in the bios what order to bootin, but never noticed an option to say which is the hd.

i recall (may be wrong) boot from floppy, cd or hd as options.

i hate the bios, i am always worried i will do something i shouldn't

It depends on the BIOS. You will often see an option for HD0, HD1 etc.

Sponsored Links
Back