NEW HOB AND OVEN ADVICE PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post so go easy on me guys/gals :)

Would like a little advice on fitting a hob and double electric built under oven.

I have seen an electric ceramic hob which is 6,700kw and the double oven is 4,600kw making a combined total of 11,300kw.

Consumer unit is 32amps for the cooker circuit .

I was thinking of connecting them both with a dual click plate as both would be in the 2m distance to CCU.

Now manufacturer states HO5RRF-3G or equivalent for the hob ( i am guessing this is just heat resistance flex) ?

The manufacturer for the double oven states to use HO5VV-FG3 X 2.5MM2 or equivalent ( again i guess heat resistant flex)?

Now the total amperage would be roughly 49.130 amps at 230v , but applying diversity it would come to 21.739 amps.

Would it be ok to use this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Index/Flex_Butyl/index.html

4.0mm 3 core - Buytl Heat Resistant Cable for both appliances connected using the click 45 dual outlet plate ?

I know for the oven i could get away with 2.5mm 3 Core - Buytl Heat Resistant Cable ,but thought it might be better just using same cabling (4.mm) for both .

Or would you guys use 6mm T&E as it would be a lot cheaper and still work or stick with the above ? What do you guys reckon do i really need to use heat resistance cable as most people seem to use T&E ?

Going out to buy them once i know this is ok.

Cheers ..And all the best.

Sponsored Links
Now manufacturer states HO5RRF-3G or equivalent for the hob ( i am guessing this is just heat resistance flex) ?

The manufacturer for the double oven states to use HO5VV-FG3 X 2.5MM2 or equivalent ( again i guess heat resistant flex)?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:harcode

But do they say to use 2.5mm cable on a 32A breaker?

I know for the oven i could get away with 2.5mm 3 Core - Buytl Heat Resistant Cable
Do you?

What's the current rating of that cable compared to the circuit breaker?

Please read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:mcbtocable

Or would you guys use 6mm T&E as it would be a lot cheaper and still work or stick with the above ? What do you guys reckon do i really need to use heat resistance cable as most people seem to use T&E ?
You should assume that the makers know how hot it gets inside cabinets housing their appliances.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:harcode

But do they say to use 2.5mm cable on a 32A breaker?

I know for the oven i could get away with 2.5mm 3 Core - Buytl Heat Resistant Cable
Do you?

What's the current rating of that cable compared to the circuit breaker?

Please read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:mcbtocable

You should assume that the makers know how hot it gets inside cabinets housing their appliances.

Thanks for looking but this does not answer my question about using the 4mm heat resistant cable i first mentioned.The manual specify that a 25amp monophase for protection for the oven .The hob does not specify what fuse rating should be but they said ho5rrf-3g 2.5mm cable.

Why do people on here never give a straight answer i.e yes you can use that cable or no you cannot ??

The rating of the 4mm heat resistance cable that i mentioned is well within the amperage needed if i were to connect both to a dual outlet plate .So why point me to links that don't concern me when i have already explained above in my post what my consumer unit fuse rating is for my cooker circuit ?

Do you?

Well if you read what i said both manufacturer say to use 2.5mm ho5 cable so that answers that.I was gonna use 4mm because i thought that 2.5mm was a little too close for my liking .

I think BAS is a proponent of the socratic method. To put it kindly.

The 4mm heat resistant cable looks good to me, in combination with the Click plate.

Sponsored Links
The manual specify that a 25amp monophase for protection for the oven .The hob does not specify what fuse rating should be but they said ho5rrf-3g 2.5mm cable.
To clarify:

The instructions are correct except that the MCB is to protect the cable, not the oven.

You do not have 25A protection with which 2.5mm² would be adequate - 2.5mm² maximum current 27A with ideal installation method.

To avoid changing the MCB you should, as has been said, use 4mm² which can handle more than 32A - the rating of your MCB.

The manual specify that a 25amp monophase for protection for the oven .The hob does not specify what fuse rating should be but they said ho5rrf-3g 2.5mm cable.
To clarify:

The instructions are correct except that the MCB is to protect the cable, not the oven.

You do not have 25A protection with which 2.5mm² would be adequate - 2.5mm² maximum current 27A with ideal installation method.

To avoid changing the MCB you should, as has been said, use 4mm² which can handle more than 32A - the rating of your MCB.

I agree about the 2.5mm cable that's why i went for the 4mm instead because of my 32amp rating.It is dearer to use as i could just put T&E instead, but wanted to go roughly with the manufactures flexible cable in-case i ever need it fixing and the engineer comes and says i should not have used T&E . even though in reality 6mm T&E would work but i am sticking with the heat resistant 4mm cable..

Just out of curiosity isn't 2.5mm rated at 25amps and not 27amps for Butyl cable ?

Thanks for the response. p.s is TLC the only place to get 4.mm Butyl Heat Resistant Cables :?:

TLC is as good as anywhere and better than places who don't sell it by the metre. Specially good if you live near one, and can fetch it personally.

One of the points BAS was trying to make is that, when a manufacturer of cooking equipment says use heat resistant cable then that's what you do.

TLC is as good as anywhere and better than places who don't sell it by the metre. Specially good if you live near one, and can fetch it personally.

One of the points BAS was trying to make is that, when a manufacturer of cooking equipment says use heat resistant cable then that's what you do.
That's what I am gonna do now and order from TLC.

All the best to you.

Why do people on here never give a straight answer i.e yes you can use that cable or no you cannot ??
Some people do.

Others are of the opinion that if you want to do this work then you have to take responsibility for it and you have to actually understand what's involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back