New Oven & HOB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be fitting a new oven and hob. I just wanted to confirm things with you guys and have a few questions.

1. The ceramic hob is rated at 5.8 kw, which is 25 amps so am i right in saying that only a 32 AMP breaker is needed at the CU? (seems low for a hob!)

2. The oven is only rated at 2.07 Kw, so this will run off a 13 AMP socket, but do i need to use special heat resistent flex or not?

3. If the oven is connected with t&e does the rating (fuse) have to be changed in any way?

4. The oven also has 4 terminals labelled - L1, L2, N, E.
Earth and neutral are self explanitary but what is the L1 & L2 all about? Which one do i connect the main live to?

I am obviously going use a cooker switch (45 AMP) for the hob and a fused unit for the oven. The cable is 6mm.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
the cooker comes with instructions ??

my guess would be one of the L1 or L2 was for clock, so when you switch it off you dont lose time .... but that is a very very random guess.

1. The ceramic hob is rated at 5.8 kw, which is 25 amps so am i right in saying that only a 32 AMP breaker is needed at the CU? (seems low for a hob!) not really.

2. The oven is only rated at 2.07 Kw, so this will run off a 13 AMP socket, but do i need to use special heat resistent flex or not? Most come with flex nowadays, but if not, read the instructions and see if the manufacturer recommends heat resistant flex

3. If the oven is connected with t&e does the rating (fuse) have to be changed in any way? no. just protect with a 13A fuse.

4. The oven also has 4 terminals labelled - L1, L2, N, E.
Earth and neutral are self explanitary but what is the L1 & L2 all about? Which one do i connect the main live to? both. it has been made to european specs. some places in europe have 2-phase supplies, one goes to L1, the other to L2, this is to balance the load across the 2 phases and lessen the load on neutral because they have weedy power supplies on some countries. But you probably only have one phase, so connect them together.

Jim, your guess is wrong im afraid! :LOL:

Hi,

cheers for your responses. Crafty when you replied to my first question about my 6kw hob only needing a 32 AMP fuse did you mean:

a) not really small for a hob

or

b) not really right for suggesting a 32 AMP.

i calculate the amps by dividing watts by 240/230 volts. Is this correct?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
a) not really small for a hob it is about average for a hob. it would be low if it were an entire cooker.

or

b) not really right for suggesting a 32 AMP. 32A is correct.

i calculate the amps by dividing watts by 240/230 volts. Is this correct? spot on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back