new hot water cylinder

Tell me, does a cylinder stat turn off when the top 1/3rd is60c or when the stat at 1/3rd up reaches 60c, meaning the water at the tap could be nearer 70c.

If the boiler flow temperature is correctly set at about 65°-70° then the water inside the cylinder will only reach a maximum of about 5°-10° lower while its still reheating the contents and assuming the stat promptly turns off the heat source before the water reaches over 60° C.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You didn't answer the question Tony.

Does the stat record the temperature where it's positioned on the cylinder, or does it make an allowance, and turns off when it assumes it 60c at the outlet.

or, does the stat turn off when it gets to 60c, and it could be 70c + at the outlet

The stat turns off when it reaches its set temperature.

How much higher it is at the top depends on the boiler flow temperature and the differential varies according to the temperature at the heating coil.

Tony

No, No, No, the cylinder stat is controlling the cylinder temperature, not the boiler.

And how much hotter it is at the top would surly depend on the height of the cylinder, and the distance between the stat and the top of the cylinder.

In other words if you have a 36in cylinder, you may have to set the stat at 50c to get 60c at the outlet, but if you have a 4ft cylinder you would only have to set the stat at 45c to get 60c at the outlet.

Sponsored Links
I dont agree with all of that!

If your boiler flow is set at 60°C and the boiler stat is set to 59°C then it will take an age to heat up but the top will eventually reach 60° C and some while later the stat position will reach 59° C and the heat source will turn off.

Tony

You're not thinking outside the box again.

If the boiler is set at 60c and the cylinder stat is set at 59c, it is unlikely in this life to ever get to a point where the cylinder stat is satisfied.

cheers for that guys I'll see which is easiest 2/3rds from the top or 1/3rd from the bottom !!

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back