New Installation Requirements of a Combi Condensing Boier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a quote for having a Combi boiler installed. The plumber told me as I have no existing radiators, that a small radiator in the bathroom, would need to be installed. appaarently this is neccessry for the boiler to function correctly?
Is this true or am i being mis-led?[/b]

Sponsored Links
True. It needn't be in the bathroom, but really you do need at least one radiator fitting.
If you are having a combi fitted then presumably you are thinking of having radiators installed at some point anyway? If not, then why not go for a multipoint water heater, cheapest at the moment is the Baxi.

I have recently had a quote for having a Combi boiler installed. The plumber told me as I have no existing radiators, that a small radiator in the bathroom, would need to be installed. appaarently this is neccessry for the boiler to function correctly?
Is this true or am i being mis-led?[/b]

So your installer has suggested a central heating boiler requires some sort of heat emmitter (ie a radiator) to function correctly and you suspect being mis-lead.

It depends which model.

most Vaillants will work just fine as water heaters with no radiators, for instance.

Sponsored Links
It depends which model.

most Vaillants will work just fine as water heaters with no radiators, for instance.

So there you have it. If it's a Vaillant, the installer must be trying to rip you off. Hopefully that's what you wanted to read. Watch out in case you're sold any other unnecessary extras like a flue kit.

I'm certainly not suggesting an installer rip off.

Or that the installer is trying to mislead. I'm an installer myself and am only too well aware there is usually more than one option to a problem.

He could merely only be familiar with a combi that needs a heat leak rad connected when run in DHW only mode.

I think that the public should realise that many of the valid answers on this forum come from tradesmen and we don't appreciate the suggestion that we are bent.

why would you wanna combi with no rads? are you planning on adding them? if not get a water heater.

I think we need more information about your situation and requirements. If you simply want hot water then a combi boiler is probably not the right answer, regardless of whether it can work without radiators. Or perhaps you do need the boiler output for heating, but not heating through radiators? Or you are having radiators installed as a new central heating system, but don't want a radiator in the bathroom?

Thanks to all for the replies.
I wasn't saying the I didnt trust my installer when he quoted me for a combi boiler which needed a rad to function, I was merely enquiring if this was accepted as the norm for this kind of installation. I want a combi cos i may wish to get central heating installed at a later date.
It would be a Valliant boiler that i would get installed/

The situation is that a combi is designed for someone who wants hot water and heating.

Most will work fine as a water heater. The manufacturers think those users are odd. We think people who dont want central heating in the UK are odd too. The manufacturers are reluctant to recommend their combis for waher heater use simply because they dont know how they will fare.

Some installers think its not necessary to add anything apart from a filling loop. Others connect flow to return with 260mm of 22 mm copper tube. Others connect one radiator.

If you are "thinking of having central heating" then whats the problem with having one rad fitted now? Just make sure they use 22 mm pipe in the main spine from the boiler.

Tony

I would of installed an intergas combi as it is designed to be use as a water heater if needs be...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back