New laminate floor and it's making a cracking sound.

I checked the floor transition pieces and they were all tight to the floor. I set them back a bit and now it has stopped in the hallway. There are a couple of other places, but it's where a corner of the laminate is touching the wall. I'm sure that will go out once I trim it. Thanks all for the help, and sorry for the late reply.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the feed back w v n

realy appreciated
glad youve got it sorted

big all

The foam underlay is rubbish, what you need is the fibre board which is a little dearer but well worth it, have used both and the fibre board is far better at stopping those cracking noises

Hello all. New to forum. Installed a new laminate floor about 3 weeks ago and ever since it's been laid, when I walk across it, I hear a cracking sound in spots. Mainly in the hallway. It's beginning to drive me nuts. It's a 7mm laminate floor, uniclic design. It almost seems as if the joins are flexing and causing the sound. Like a cracking or clicking sound. Will this go away? Is something wrong?

Thanks,
Nitemare.

Hi' that sounds terrible, after all the work laying it. The place I have just moved from had laminate flooring put down over 5 years ago and honestly it never made a sound when anyone walked over it. Did you make sure every single floor board was nailed down tight, IF you laid it on floor boards. Also did you leave the correct expansion gap all round for movement. At least 10mm. The other thing that comes to mind, if you used just a 2mm underlay, which isn't really thick enough to absorb any real flutuations in the floor. Did you check that the floor was nice and even all over with nothing sticking up. I hope your annoying noises disappear in time, I know it would drive me crazy. By the way, it's not natural for it to happen.

Sponsored Links
Hello all. New to forum. Installed a new laminate floor about 3 weeks ago and ever since it's been laid, when I walk across it, I hear a cracking sound in spots. Mainly in the hallway. It's beginning to drive me nuts. It's a 7mm laminate floor, uniclic design. It almost seems as if the joins are flexing and causing the sound. Like a cracking or clicking sound. Will this go away? Is something wrong?

Thanks,
Nitemare.

Hi' that sounds terrible, after all the work laying it. The place I have just moved from had laminate flooring put down over 5 years ago and honestly it never made a sound when anyone walked over it. Did you make sure every single floor board was nailed down tight, IF you laid it on floor boards. Also did you leave the correct expansion gap all round for movement. At least 10mm. The other thing that comes to mind, if you used just a 2mm underlay, which isn't really thick enough to absorb any real flutuations in the floor. Did you check that the floor was nice and even all over with nothing sticking up. I hope your annoying noises disappear in time, I know it would drive me crazy. By the way, it's not natural for it to happen.
I expect he's sorted now some 7 years on! :rolleyes:

How do these muppets find such old threads and why do they bother replying? Its a mystery I tell thee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back