1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

New lawn - grass seed or turf?

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by will_uk, 7 Mar 2009.

1. will_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you were re-turfing/seeding a smallish lawn (50m2 - ish), what's the best way to go about things?

Basically, the lawn where I am is all over the shop at the moment - parts of it are dead where they were left covered by stuff for ages, a pile of soil has been moved from where a shed base was dug up etc. Good soil though and everything grows ok it seems.

I'm hoping to level it all out a bit and then returf it. What's better, quality turf or seed? Any recommended suppliers?

Do I need to remove as much of the old grass or can I just dig it all over/rake it out/wack it down a bit if using turf? I've got a wacker plate which I can use to flatten everything down with a bit if needed (before finally raking over etc).

Any pointers/advice much appreciated

Will

2. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    as i understand it, turf is for instant grass, seeds are to grow your own. seeds being cheaper.

whaker plate.......................never seen one of those used for a lawn on GF (i think it would compact too much) but like painting the end result really depends on the prep you do, the more and better it is the better the end result

3. r896neo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    seeding it is a probably less work and definately cheaper. Kill everything with a couple of applications of roundup or similar then dig it all over with a rotovater or fork if you don't mind the work throw a bit of fertilizer on it ( if the soil is heavy or poor add some sand and or topsoil now) and rake it all to a fine crumb. Then level it out and roll it with a heavy roller, i wouldn't use a whacker plate. Then seed away.