New light fitting not working

I wrote using black and red the cable to the switch having missed the fact that this has brown and blue. It is now editted to use brown and blue.

Just shows one has to be very careful when working. we can all make mistake

Sponsored Links
Assuming brown/blue IS the switch;

Connect two reds and brown in a separate connector block.
Connect two blacks to the NEUTRAL of the light.
Connect blue (sleeved brown) to the LIVE of the light.
Connect all earths to earth terminal on light, if plastic and no earth terminal use a connector block.

Have you got room in the fitting for all this wiring?

There is no black wire in the cable

I have editted to correct my error about colours

feed back to the switch (double switch) one for bedroom other for ensuite, 2 reds also looped

That might means things are not as simple as previously thought.

Do you have a multi-meter that you can use to check exactly what each cable and wire is doing. ?

thank you all for your help so far.

I am going to take some pictures of the wires and fitting etc and post them on here if possible.

That way you will all be able to see what I am trying to describe (Poorly).

this would of been my first step had i got there before the lovely Mrs Pots!

Sponsored Links
If you have followed bearnard's instructions your lights should be working now.
Since you appear to having problems following instructions it would be better if you could take a photograph of what you have at the moment and then we can try and guide through it.
I will repeat what Bearnard said in my words.

Just Remember that the you have a terminal block with the lighting circuit LOOP in it (red = permanent live - black = neutral and green/yellow = earth).

You should have one SWITCH cable comprising either red/black wires and earth or brown/blue wires and earth and one cable to the light comprising a brown and blue wire.

The SWITCH wire red/brown connects to the red at the terminal block - this takes power down to the switch and is connected at the Common Terminal. The SWITCH black/blue wire connects to the L1 terminal at the switch and comes back up to the light and connects with the brown wire at the light unit.
At the light unit the remaining blue wire connects to the black at the terminal block. Connect the Earths together.

[//www.diynot.com/network/user_album.php]

hopefully you will be able to see the pics I have taken. showing switch, wires and light fitting.

Can't see the blacks in a connector at the ceiling in the last picture.

Any slack on the older wires?

How many bare earth wires under that green and yellow sleeve?

All earth wires must be connected.

Make sure you have not missed any wires. Some could be in the ceiling void.

All bare earth wires must be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving.

Would have expected another earth wire at the wall switch, protruding from the older wiring.

Can't see the blacks in a connector at the ceiling in the last picture.

Any slack on the older wires?

How many bare earth wires under that green and yellow sleeve?

Make sure you have not missed any wires. Some could be in the ceiling void.

All bare earth wires must be sleeved with green and yellow sleeving.

Would have expected another earth wire at the wall switch, protruding from the older wiring.

the earth sleeving contains two black wires looped. found it that way?

only earth I can see is the one that is bare.

Will have a route around in the space but not very big

The black wires are under that green and yellow sleeving?
By looped, do you mean in a connector block, or continious?
Photo needed.

It would seem that your older wiring hasn't got any earth wires in it then, if I have understood your last post correctly. If this is the case, you cannot fit that metal fitting, and will need a plastic fitting.

Assuming brown/blue IS the switch;

Connect two reds and brown in a separate connector block.
Connect two blacks to the NEUTRAL of the light.
Connect blue (sleeved brown) to the LIVE of the light.
Connect all earths to earth terminal.

If the only earth wire is from that newer brown/blue cable then your lighting is not earthed, and you will need a plastic light fitting that doesn't need earthing. Very important.

it is the new cable that is earthed in the switch box.

I have the following connected to the light fitting:

brown, blue and the earth connected to the earth point on the fitting.

Yes, but unless no other wiring is connected between the light end and the switch end then it's never going to work.

As I understand it you have a new piece of cable. A light connected to one end, a switch connected to the other end. There is no electric supply connected to it, IF I HAVE UNDERSTOOD YOU CORRECTLY.

Are there any joints in that newer cable somewhere BETWEEN the light and the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back