New Light Wiring Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was trying to install a new light where there is existing wiring but am having some problems.

What I did was to remove the previous light which was a standard basic light, that had a 3 pin to the left (Live) a 3 pin in the middle (loop) and a 2 pin to the right (Net). I didnt release the loop part untill after i unscrewed the cables out. I then put my new light in place and connected all of the black wires to the net and the red wires to the live. I also earthed the cable.

when i switched the mains power back on the switch doesnt work the light just stays on.

I gather it is something to do with the loop but i have now muddled the cables up so i am not sure what to do.

These are the wires that i found:
3 black wires
1 black wire with red sleeving on it (i guess this is live?)
4 red wires
4 earth wires which are already sleeved green.

Any ideas on what i could do?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
All the red are unswitched live (loop), all the greens are earth (you should re-sleeve these green/yellow striped), the black with red sleeving is switched live to the light and the rest of the blacks are neutral.

What you did wrong was trying to group them into 3, rather than 4, if you put the black with red sleeve on with the reds you can't switch the light off, the blacks, and you still can't switch the light... but you can blow the fuse :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back