New LPG heating system - advice for a newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To clarify - the system has just been installed by my boss in my (tied) cottage. That is to say professionally installed - he just arranged it !

I have been in this cottage for 10 years and this is the first heating we have had apart from one night storage heater - so the difference is remarkeable !!

The system -

Vaillant ecoTEC plus boiler - run off Calor/LPG.

9 radiators all with TRV's except in the kitchen where the room thermostat is, and it also heats the water in the hot water tank, with electric immersion as backup should it be required.

There is a panel by the room thermostat which came off the front of the boiler and has been wired into it to sort out timing for heat and water etc etc.

I have never ever had any gas appliances, and have little idea on central heating operation at all. We have managed without heat before as we didnt like the night storage heater !

What I would like to know is

Gas - Any precautions we need to take ?

I know how to isolate it if need be, But does the room the boiler is in (downstairs loo) have to be kept ventilated ?

I believe it brings in its own air supply from outside.

Is a Carbon Monoxide alarm a good idea ?

The radiator system - amazing - they heat from cold in no time at all, not used to all this heat.

Are there recommended settings for TRV's ?

In the rooms we dont use much I have them turned to one to keep things 'ticking over' and circulating. the rest are turned to position 3 - mid way.

Is it bad practice to keep any fully on ? I have always been told any valves should always be eased back a tad from the max open setting so they dont stick.

The 2 radiators nearest the boiler are cold - no air in any of the radiators, after checking through the forum a little it seems that if I turn all the valves off except for these 2 then the airlock (if it is that) should work its way out ?

Brand new TRV's shouldnt stick closed should they if its not an airlock ?

Last one - promise - I have the heating on the timer, what about hot water - is it best to leave this on so the hot water tank is just 'topped up' as it cools, or is it best to put it on a timer and heat it from a lot cooler each time ?
If we are away we would probably have the hot water off and the heating on low and timed.

Thanks

Gerry

Sponsored Links
9 radiators all with TRV's except in the kitchen where the room thermostat is

Probably the worst place to put it as when you start cooking the heat from the cooker etc will switch off the heating :eek:

Gas - Any precautions we need to take ?

No, as long as it has been installed correctly

I know how to isolate it if need be, But does the room the boiler is in (downstairs loo) have to be kept ventilated ?

Not in a normal building

I believe it brings in its own air supply from outside.

Thats correct it is room sealed

Is a Carbon Monoxide alarm a good idea ?

Not needed as boiler is room sealed, but if it makes you feel safer then it is a good idea :confused:

Are there recommended settings for TRV's ?

A general starting guide is lounge and bathroom on 4, kitchen about 3, bedrooms 2 or 3, but it is up to you as to how warm you want to be.

Is it bad practice to keep any fully on ? I have always been told any valves should always be eased back a tad from the max open setting so they dont stick.

Doesn't apply to trv's. Good idea in summer to open all full whilst heating not being used to stop them sticking shut.

The 2 radiators nearest the boiler are cold - no air in any of the radiators, after checking through the forum a little it seems that if I turn all the valves off except for these 2 then the airlock (if it is that) should work its way out ?

Could be the locksheild valves have been closed too much so there is no flow through rads. Try opening these 1/2 to 1 turn more.

If not do as you suggest but 1 at a time.

I have the heating on the timer, what about hot water - is it best to leave this on so the hot water tank is just 'topped up' as it cools, or is it best to put it on a timer and heat it from a lot cooler each time ?

I would leave it on timed eg twice a day, but again depends on your hw usage.

Think I need a drink after that :eek: :LOL:

Thanks for that :D

My kitchen is quite long - 2/3 the length of the cottage, the cooking is done at one end where the windows draughts and extractor fan are, room thermostat is on the opposite wall to this - maybe 20 feet away, stairway also starts midway down the kitchen and so everything tends to rise up the stairs heatwise, so hopefully the thermostat will be ok where it is.

2 cold rads are now hot again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back