new meter has no off-switch

What do you mean "If he did"? If he did, he would. If I didn't know better, I would think you were just being mischievous.
smiley-face-angel-006.gif
No, it was a perfectly genuine question, which only becomes mischevious if you're feeling guilty! What I meant by "if he did?" was that, before the SP issue was raised, you were implying that having a meter with an isolator 'saved' you from having to arrange those visits - so you would not have had to arrange them!

Whatever, I have to say on the few occasions (none recently) I've seen a DNO person called out to 'isolate' an installation whilst work was done on it, I'm pretty sure that they have merely pulled the fuse, and left the neutral untouched. For true isolation, they obviously should disconnect the neutral as well - is that what they do routinely these days?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You might find this an interesting read John. Hopefully the photo has come out ok.

esc.jpg

You might find this an interesting read John. Hopefully the photo has come out ok.
Thanks. On the face of it, it sounds as if the ESC left it too late to say their piece - after the meters has been specified, designed and manufactured, and roll-out had started. Do you know if they made similar representations before the smart meters were specified?

Kind Regards, John.

No, it was a perfectly genuine question,
Yes, of course.
which only becomes mischevious if you're feeling guilty!
I wouldn't call it guilty.
What I meant by "if he did?" was that, before the SP issue was raised, you were implying that having a meter with an isolator 'saved' you from having to arrange those visits - so you would not have had to arrange them!
You can also access the terminals after 'switching off', i.e. if technically not isolating.
Whatever, I have to say on the few occasions (none recently) I've seen a DNO person called out to 'isolate' an installation whilst work was done on it, I'm pretty sure that they have merely pulled the fuse, and left the neutral untouched. For true isolation, they obviously should disconnect the neutral as well - is that what they do routinely these days?
No.

Re: RF's post

So, 'common' sense from the ECA etc.

However, still scarce in Westminster.

Sponsored Links
I've seen a DNO person called out to 'isolate' an installation whilst work was done on it, I'm pretty sure that they have merely pulled the fuse, and left the neutral untouched. For true isolation, they obviously should disconnect the neutral as well - is that what they do routinely these days?

That's one of those differences!
We do not under any circumstances need to disconnect the neutral for isolation at 230/400V and on modern distribution equipment are unable to

That's one of those differences! We do not under any circumstances need to disconnect the neutral for isolation at 230/400V ....
That's a pretty definitive answer!

and on modern distribution equipment are unable to ...
I don't quite get that. Are you simply saying that you can't disconnect the incoming supply from the service head or whatever you call it, with some modern systems? In the context we're discussing, all that would be needed would be to disconnect the connection to the meter, and that you surely could do (otherwise how would meters ever get installed, changed or moved? :) )

Kind Regards, John.

As regards the service head, yes we can physically disconnect the neutral, on other points of the underground system we can't

As regards the service head, yes we can physically disconnect the neutral, on other points of the underground system we can't
Fair enough, but the discussion here obviously related to the consumer's side of the service head.

So, just to be clear, if an electrician calls out DNO personnel to 'isolate' a supply so that (s)he can safely work on the consumer's end of the outgoing meter tails (or beyond), the '(wo)man from the DNO' would simply pull the cutout fuse and make the cutout safe? (that's certainly what I've seen done).

Kind Regards, John.

So, just to be clear, if an electrician calls out DNO personnel to 'isolate' a supply so that (s)he can safely work on the consumer's end of the outgoing meter tails (or beyond), the '(wo)man from the DNO' would simply pull the cutout fuse and make the cutout safe? (that's certainly what I've seen done).

Unless specifically asked to do otherwise, yes.

Unless specifically asked to do otherwise, yes.
Ah! Does that mean that if you were specifically asked to also disconnect the neutral connection to the meter, you would do that (and reconnect it when you replaced the cutout fuse)? If so, do you know if DNO personnel often get asked to do that?

Kind Regards, John.

Then let's hope the ESC, ENA, AMO, ECA, ELECSA, SELECT, NAPIT and NICEIC are successful.
Yes, but there are only two of the 'options' under consideration which relate to the meter - option 1 gives you only SP 'isolation' and option 2 may only give you SP isolation - so it might not be quite what you'd like, even if they are successful!

Kind Regards, John.

Yes, but there are only two of the 'options' under consideration which relate to the meter - option 1 gives you only SP 'isolation' and option 2 may only give you SP isolation - so it might not be quite what you'd like, even if they are successful!
But that is all you get by pulling the fuse.

So if the live can be switched off easily/safely/'legally' then, surely, that would be a satisfactory improvement to the present situation.

If required (although what would be the point?) a DP isolation switch could be installed easily/safely/'legally'.

But that is all you get by pulling the fuse. So if the live can be switched off easily/safely/'legally' then, surely, that would be a satisfactory improvement to the present situation.
Indeed, I agree totally - but it wasn't me who started the fuss about SP 'isolation' not being proper isolation :)

If required (although what would be the point?) a DP isolation switch could be installed easily/safely/'legally'.
Agreed - but, again, it would seem that some would say that when you were fitting that DP isolator (with only SP isolation at the time), you had not worked 'safely'.

I suspect I know what most of us (including me) think about this discussion.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back