New meter - isolation switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, SSE are sending me letter saying that they need to change my electricity meter.

Not sure I have a problem with that per se as its over 30+ years old.

However I will be refusing a smartmeter as I can do without more interference to my radios etc. so will be insisting on an analogue one.

I intend to ask them to fit an isolation switch so that I can get the CU changed at a later date, I take it that I need to provide this - in that case
what sort should I get?

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Ask the DNO to fit an isolation switch.
They will fit the one that they supply.
It may, or may not, be the meter monkey that does it.

Usually it will be a Wylex REC2 (assuming you do not have a 3-phase supply).

However I will be refusing a smartmeter as I can do without more interference to my radios etc. so will be insisting on an analogue one.
Is that possible? Won't they fit whatever meter they see fit, regardless of your wishes?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected.

Sponsored Links
The government recently made it clear that the consumer had the right to refuse a smart meter - at least at the moment. In this case though, it would be best to inform the people before they come, so that you don't have the argument on the day, when they may not have an alternative.

Hi, SSE are sending me letter saying that they need to change my electricity meter.

Not sure I have a problem with that per se as its over 30+ years old.

Cheers,
Matt

There exactly the same technology as a mobile phone 3G data , why would you not want one

Why not, google it :)

As a radio ham I dont want anything else giving me interference to contend with. I get enough from other PLT devices.

And yes I have the choice to refuse one.

What about the isolation switch?

Why not, google it :) As a radio ham I dont want anything else giving me interference to contend with. I get enough from other PLT devices. And yes I have the choice to refuse one.
I'm a radio ham, too, but I think that smart meters are probably the least of my concerns - and, indeed that this issue is one of the least of those for people who have other (possibly legitimate) concerns about smart meters. However, it appears that you still have the choice to refuse one, so I respect your right to do so.
What about the isolation switch?
What about it? As you've been told, whoever fits it will supply it. As I implied, I think you need to talk to your electrical supplier (not DNO) about this, since DNOs don't usually have anything to do with the meter or anything downstream of it.

Kind Regards, John

Ask the DNO to fit an isolation switch.
They will fit the one that they supply.
It may, or may not, be the meter monkey that does it.

Usually it will be a Wylex REC2 (assuming you do not have a 3-phase supply).

Sorry to gate crash a thread but I was wanting to look at the same thing and when I inquired about the REC2 I was told It needed to be a switch fuze that isolated the supply coming into the house. Was I. Is informed? I am after the same thing. an isolation switch after the meter so the CU can be isolated and replaced at a later date without having to pull the main fuse again.

Can't speak for other suppliers, but BG will fit an ISO where the resolution of a safety issue would be compromised if there wasn't an ISO (undersized cables, VIR cables, etc etc), this would be installed for free.

If you rang up BG and requested an isolator installed, they would charge you roughly £40

It depends on the length and/or size of the conductors whether a fuse would be required.
It would - but if the length/size of the cable was such that a switch-fuse would be required (rather than just an isolator), then the requirement (at least in some people's eyes) for a switch-fuse would already exist, even without an isolator.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but Greenie's query was because he has been told he needs a switch/fuse while reading here about mere switches (isolators).

So, the query was, in effect, just about the fuse; the reasons for which are as I stated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back