New mira electric shower mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I'm not often baffled and about to give up but I am with this!

Went to replace ancient mira sport (it lit up but zero flow/water). I accept no proper diagnosis here but assumed it had given up in some way.

Bought new mira jump 8.5. Fitting went ok, water on, power on and all I get is green power light and no flow/water.

*I could hear the mains pressure pressure up in the shower on switching water back on but a question I have is: With an electric shower do you usually hear a tank fill up as well as the momentary switch on pssst sound?

*Green light. Goes on and off with power button. My father has a fairly new mira and says the light stays on whether shower on or not. Don't know if of consequence.

Phoned mira and they tell me sounds like a dodgy actuator valve (I possibly said I didn't hear the shower filling up in some way).They suggest getting replacement. I did. It's the same!!!

So, what on earth is wrong? Is there some reason the ancient shower stopped working that remains a problem or have I got two faulty jumps? My electrics certainly appear absolutely fine as does (to the best of my knowledge, and it sounds fine) water pressure.

What's maybe going on? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check your isolation switch ,ceiling one with pull cord ,or wall mounted. See if any signs of deteriation of the cables. You should measure voltage at the main terminal of the shower line to neutral 230 volts ,if you have a multimeter and can safely use it. Just because the neon lights up on the shower doesnt mean the supply is ok.

Last edited:
Thanks. My dad has a spark coming in the morning so he can certainly check. A couple of years ago the pull cord switch burnt out. I looked at it yesterday and it looked alright. He can check this too.

Good ,let us know how you get on. I suspect the switch . by the way ,make sure you follow the commissioning instructions. When first powering up ,heating elements should be off ,and water flow turned down to minimum. This is to fill the shower up slowly with water. If you dont follow the instructions you may cause the prv to operate ,and then it will have to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
It was indeed the pull cord isolator. Glad it's fixed but frustrating with it being the very first thing I took a look at.
The cables looked ok but the tell tale sign was a bit melted black plastic (I didn't notice).

A new shower replaced and on and off the wall 3 times in total! Grrr

Surely a bit daft in this day and age the shower not having a decent indicator to indicate certain faults via it's LED.

Ha ha ,glad your sorted .Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back