New Oil Fired Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I need a new boiler to replace an old Trianco Eurostar Combi 90 that barely made it through the last winter. Fortunately Im not in any urgent rush as the thing still works (kinda) although its in a boiler room and I need to keep topping up the pressure as it loses most of the pressure every day.

I was wondering what is the best boiler to go for and also are there any national companies that you would recommend for the installation. Its not going to be a diy installation as even I know my limits with this one.

My house is a 4bed with 3 bathrooms and the existing boiler is a Trianco Eurostar Combi 90 (28.4kW). The existing CH is split into 2 zones each independently controlled by a timer box and thermostat.

Any advice gratefully received...

thanks,

Paula

Sponsored Links
You need a Grant Vortex Combi availible in 21, 26 & 36Kw output, most common choice is the 26Kw, have a look at www.grantuk.com
there is a section to help you find an Oftec Installer near to you ;)

Hi folks,

Ended up buying a Grant vortex pro combi 36kw (VTXCOMBI36) with a standard flue (EZ200)

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Grant_Vortex_36_HE_Combi_Oil_Boiler.html

Got them for a good price as well £2163 inc vat....

So I was wondering...

Im paying a local OFTEC registered company who are going to come and install it.
Are there any other major bits of stuff I should be considering buying in for myself in order to avoid paying the markup?

thanks,

Paula.

You can't think of all the little bits and pieces. You'll pay the 'mark-up' anyway. If the installer wants a figure for th ejob, then that's what you pay. Just be prepared if you have problems with the boiler, who sorts out the warranty claim. If I was installing YOUR boiler, then you would; if I was installing MY boiler, then I would.

Sponsored Links
yeah that factored into my thoughts....

When people were trying to sell me the boiler for 10-15 or even 20% more than I knew it was available, it just didnt feel right...

may want to check you got the right flue kit. as theres a smaller version. for the size cavity it would fit. otherwise your standard flue kit may be to big.

The markup you refer to is what keeps your boiler company in business.

Heating installers are no different to other businesses; they will not survive if they don't 'mark things up'.

Most installers won't get involved with a customer supplied boiler, so if you have found one prepared to do so, they are either

1. incredibly altruistic towards strangers
2. desperate
3. or they've added the margin you think you've saved onto their labour quote

Another tip for you, make sure that the grant boiler IS NOT a "grey" import, a lot of the cheap boilers that are for sale are imports, & if Grant want to be funny ( & they can be at times) they MAY NOT honour the warranty as it isn't a "British" boiler, also I can recommend that if it is a british boiler pay the extra £100 quid or so to get the extended warranty, many of us engineers know that grant boilers have had problems with the burners in the past...namely the Riello Oil Pumps & although they are gradually sorting the problem out it can still cause problems, & finally when the boiler is being instaled make sure they replace the oil filter & check for water in the oil tank, as this will also affect the warranty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back