new oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new 100 Ltre slimline oil tank along with a guage, a filter a stop valve, all the fittings and 10m of underground tubing.

I paid £258 for all this and am wondering if I have paid too much.

Also if I am changing my tank and need to bleed the pump could any one give me a pointer on how to do this. The pump is SUNTEC.

Also if joining pipe running from the tank to the boiler is it adviseable to have this running above the ground or is it ok to lay it underground

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
I assue that should be 1000 ltrs.

What was the material metal or plastic

plastic slimline 1225 ltrs £247 plus vat

Fire valve which you will want where the pipe enters the building is about £31 plus vat.

Line should'nt be joined underground unless the joint is excessable and wrapped in denso tape, and with a compression fitting. Pipe of course has to be plastic coated.

Above ground should be frost protected.

Sorry about the tank size. Its 1100 ltres and plastic.
I am assuming that a fire valve already exists just before the pipe runs into the pump of the boiler so i did not buy a new one.

With the tank is a regular guage and a filter. Do you have a rough idea of what they would cost?

What exactly is Denso tape and also is standard PTFE good enough for the compresion fittings or is there any sort of oil tight jointing compound required.

Thanks again.

Were get shot at dawn when the mods see this, you're not supposed to ask how much :LOL: :LOL:

Gauge is £50 and filter £7 both plus vat

Denso tape is horrible sticky stuff that protect the pipe underground or in concrete.

Fire valve has to be fitted where the pipe enters the building ( new Reg) so you would need to alter your existing.

ptfe or oil jointing compound is ok but as I said any joint has to be exposed.

The tank I priced was a single skin plastic not a bunded one

Sponsored Links
Thanks doitall for your help and info.
Is it OK to fit the fire valve underground? Also if I am not removing the existing pipe from the boiler but just extending it is it not then ok to keep the existing fire valve where it is?

Also do you have any knowledge of Suntec pumps and bleeding them.
I would assume that connecting up a new supply of oil is going to require the pump to be bled?

Thanks again

Fire valve can be fitted below ground level but it must be accessable, if you leave the old valve in the system would be not to current standards so you could probably get away ith it, but then is it worth it.

Best plan is when its all connected up and tested is to get it serviced.

Should the fire valve be connected directly before the pipe enters the building?
Also do most systms have pipe buried under - is it an appearance thing more than anything?
In my set up as soon as the pipe has come from th pump and passed through the fire valve and isolation valve it goes straight into the founds of the house and doesn't appear until it meets the oil tank.

It would have been a more easily maintained system if it had have stayed above ground until it came out the side of the wall and then went underground.

As your suggesting fitting the fire valve outside the house I am thinking of doing away with all the old pipe rather than join on to it.

That way keeping the pipe above ground while inside the building and on exiting the building attaching the fire valve before running the pipe underground until it reaches the tank.

This will do away with having any joins in the pipe and also allow me to get the fire valve outside.

Does this sound reasonable oh wise one!

Sounds very resonable to me, but remember you can't use your existing fire valve as you have to have a phile that goes over the burner, these can be purchased in various lengths.

unless of course yours is long enough to reach.

Reason they go underground outside is to stop freezing.

Who's being too helpful then? Before the mods come,
violent-smiley-026.gif

Wot's all this about freezing? Ok if you're using gas oil, but of no consequence whatever if it's kerosene, I coundn't get it to freeze at -60 C!!

Paddy1, you should look up the building regs, all the bits of an oil installation come under this now, and I keep getting called out to fix non-compliant and cock-up jobs, where a read through the regs would have saved having problems.

MOD

is here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back