New plaster question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a plasterer plaster my house, one of the rooms where he's trowled up at the end he's got water marks all down the plaster ,when I'm painting in other rooms I've noticed it's hard to,cover these marks, but this room has loads is there something I can use to cover like a stain blocking undercoat paint instead ?

Sponsored Links
Are you mist coating the new plaster work. As that is the correct process to follow, ideally two coats of mist coat as prep.

Thats a bad technique causing the water marks - the plasterer was badly taught or has got into careless habits with the damping brush.

Water should be applied very lightly, sometimes not at all. And the finished surface should show no trace of trowel, brush or slap-dash.

Its all in the technique - technique includes skill and organising the time for prep, spreads and coats. Turning back & catching the finish just right, which any skilled plaster will do as second nature, means you need very little water.

Genreally speaking and right handed plasterer will start on the left hand side working towards the right unless left hand then right to left.

So when troweling the plaster up any water used will be moved along the wall with each stroke. As the comment above suggest the plasterer you employed either has been taught incorrectly or uses far to much water. I would ask him or her to come back to sort the issue out

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with water from troweling - it's PVA from his sealing coat.

Without a pic we are all just guessing but why would there be pva on top of the plaster??

If it were clear water it would simply dry up.

no not at all. water marks can leave a ridge in plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back