new plug socket cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
greetings

a very brief precis : i am planning to install a new plug socket to run the cooker extraction fan. this entails chiselling out a channel in some tiles (and maybe some of the wall) to run the cable between the existing double socket and the new plug socket, the length being about 1 Metre at most. i am getting a bit confused about the type of cable to run between the sockets so could someone tell me the type i need ie regarding the diameter. i was going to recycle the old extraction fan cable but maybe that isn't a good idea............dunno

Sponsored Links
You usually use 2.5 mm (squared) flat twin+earth cable.

2.5 mm being the cross sectional area of the live and neutral conductors.

Sleeve bare earth wires with green and yellow sleeving.

Make sure the socket you wish to run the cable from is suitable to supply an extra power point first.

i.e. make sure the socket you're connecting to isn't already a spur.

Also make sure that you follow the rules for where concealed cables may go:If the circuit isn't RCD protected you'll have to make it so.

And if you're in England or Wales you should read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Sponsored Links
i am planning to install a new plug socket to run the cooker extraction fan.
DIY is probably not worth all the legal hassle:
  • notifying local build control
    paying their fees (£175 in Worthing)
    first fit inspection by BC
    PIR by BC
On top of that, you might have to replace an old fuse box with a modern consumer unit to get RCD protection on the circuit (which could save lives).

If the kitchen circuit is already protected by an RCD, it will be better to get a sparks in who can certify their own work.

Having said that, if the new socket is on the same wall as the old socket, I think the cable can run vertically and horizontally from sockets just in the plaster. If you want to run the cable diagonally, it might need to be run in steel conduit or buried at least 50mm deep (avoiding prescribed zones for other socket cables). If the sockets are not on the same wall, I think the cable can be run vertically up above the ceiling and down again.

If the socket will be concealed, it might need an accessible 20A isolator switch.

You should feed the extra socket with the same sized CSA as the circuit you are spurring from, this could be 2.5mm² or 4.00mm². Depending what type of socket circuit you have installed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back