New porch and DPC / DPM

yog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like some advice please.

I live in an edwardian house with solid walls which are rendered. We are having our front porch replaced. The floor level is the same as before, but is being enlarged. The previous walls were knocked out and footings put in.
At ground level, the contractor has put in two courses of engineering bricks then three courses of blockwork and then topped this off with eng bricks. There is no DPC anywhere, the mortar butts up to the render.

Simple question, should there be a dpc and where should it be. Do I need a vertical one between the new brickwork and the render too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
yog said:
There is no DPC anywhere, the mortar butts up to the render.
Are you saying (a) that there's no membrane over the slab (under the screed), and (b) that there's no DPC between courses of bricks at the appropriate level, and (c) that the new porch isn't tied to the existing house?

If so, your contractor is nuts. Sack him.

Simple question, should there be a dpc...
Of course there should.

...and where should it be.
At the same height as the DPC in the existing house, and it should be made to be contiguous with the membrane (the one you appear not to have).

Do I need a vertical one between the new brickwork and the render too?
Er, no. What do you think that will achieve, other than to ensure that the porch will waft around in the breeze?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back